Hacking WBFS vs Scrubbed ISO compared

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Scrubbed ISO ==== The garbage data is replaced with a constant value so that it can be better compressed.
WBFS ==== The garbage data + garbage partitions are trimmed(removed).

In terms of saving space WBFS wins ... WBFS also does not require the extra compressing/decompressing process which saves a lot of headache...

How about compatibility ? Which format is more compatible with USB loaders like Wiiflow lite or Loader GX with the games on an external HDD ?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
WBFS all the way. There is no real reason to use any other format to play retail Wii games. All the current loaders expect WBFS in first place anyway.

Besides that, nkit for storage (not use) can be useful as you end up with a smaller file, leaving you more space to store games in case you want to have all your discs backed up digitally somewhere.

Just remember that WBFS disc format is not the same as a WBFS formatted usb/hdd drive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WBFS all the way. There is no real reason to use any other format to play retail Wii games. All the current loaders expect WBFS in first place anyway.

I would be one of the neogamma holdouts. What I am more here to say though is ROM hacks might well be made for isos and expect those, scrubbed usually being OK for it. If you have some WBFS randomly rearranged thing then it might be harder.
Granted there are means to restore isos these days. All that said would sooner store things as iso (scrubbed and compressed if you want) and then convert as and when.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes, patches for game modifications and such usually require an ISO because it's simpler to use untouched dumps or simply said images that have the expected SHA-1 to avoid problems, but if we are talking about which format to generally use when playing games on the system, WBFS is the answer pretty much always.

Any disc-based wii game can be easily converted to WBFS (or from that to others) when transfering to your usb device of choice, and it being a format that cuts away the garbage and is easily supported, plus being the format in which games can be transfered by tools such as Wii Backup Manager for easier use, there's little reason to bother with others.

I personally haven't used neogamma, I'll look into it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.