Hacking WBFS transfer over network?

pcton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm looking a wii homebrew that allows iso transfer over wlan or lan from/to an usb/sd drive that is connected on wii and on wbfs format.
So there's no need to plug that drive to a pc and use wbfs manager or similar software...
Is there any app like that? There must be someone who don't like swap and can code?

jarock

Trophies
XP
Country
No don't think so, you can rip your Wii games over Wifi and use FTP Wii to upload files to your SD card.
But what your asking for is Wanting to transfer games over wlan to your USB drive.
This would be suck ass slow and a waste of time.

natari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I second that request.. Ive been looking as well.. And with WBFS Manager stripping out the unneeded stuff from the iso it brings the game down in size.. I think people would benefit from that feature.. I know I would..

pcton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
How slow could it be? WiiFTP seems quite slow... haven't test usb-lan adapter yet.
Anyway there must be some own protocol for this network transfer of course.
In my case there's just so much to do beside unplug and plug the usb drive.
I'm also worry about my usb ports and dvd transfer takes about 30min.

natmanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't tried FTPWii yet, so I don't know how fast it is... I did modify a USB Loader to include support for sending an ISO from wbfs_win.exe directly to the HDD plugged into my Wii. Even after tweaking my code and libogc as best as I could, the fastest speeds that I saw were less than 70 K/sec. So, for a 1 or 2 gig game (after the extra data is excluded by wbfs_win.exe), we're talking hours of waiting for it to transfer over wireless. I never got my hands on a lan adapter to see if that would help, but I was disappointed with the speed and abandoned the hope of having network transfers in a USB loader.

That was my experience.

joesnose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
natmanz said:
I haven't tried FTPWii yet, so I don't know how fast it is... I did modify a USB Loader to include support for sending an ISO from wbfs_win.exe directly to the HDD plugged into my Wii. Even after tweaking my code and libogc as best as I could, the fastest speeds that I saw were less than 70 K/sec. So, for a 1 or 2 gig game (after the extra data is excluded by wbfs_win.exe), we're talking hours of waiting for it to transfer over wireless. I never got my hands on a lan adapter to see if that would help, but I was disappointed with the speed and abandoned the hope of having network transfers in a USB loader.

That was my experience.

I dont suppose i could get a copy of that modified usb loader could I, i am willing to try it out. i have a faulty media player hard drive enclosure that is only recognised by the wii, windows or linux dont pick it up at all, when i plug it into a pc it doesn't get listed in usb devices, i was stunned when the wii found and then formatted it! i would apreciate it, thanks.

JohnnyCheeks

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In theory it sounds like a good idea, but honestly it's not very practical at all. The transfer speeds over Wifi/Lan couldn't hold a candle to direct HDD writing over USB.

It'd be faster to just physically move the drive to the PC and transfer it.

joesnose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JohnnyCheeks said:
In theory it sounds like a good idea, but honestly it's not very practical at all. The transfer speeds over Wifi/Lan couldn't hold a candle to direct HDD writing over USB.

It'd be faster to just physically move the drive to the PC and transfer it.

i can't believe i hadn't even considered that, lol. thank you kindly.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well for me it wouldn't matter about the file transfer speeds. It'd be more of a pain in the ass for me to unhook my usb drive from my wii, pull the power adapter over to my pc, plug it all in, and then haul it all back to my Wii than it would to just set up a queue and let it transfer over night.

If you'd be so kind natmanz, would you mind sharing the loader that you've tweaked so that someone else who might find it useful can use it? I'll be sending you a PM as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.