Ways to block the 5.5.2 Update

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Wolfer473, Jul 27, 2017.

?

Helpful?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Wolfer473
    OP

Wolfer473 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2017
    United States
    Hello Everyone!
    So there's been a lot of panic about how to prevent your Wii U from updating, and I thought I'd put together the most popular ways.

1) DNS Blocking

Step 1) Enter Sytem Settings from the system menu.

Step 2) Select 'Internet' for internet settings.

Step 3) Select 'Connect to the Internet'

Step 4) Connect to the internet. If you have already configured an internet connection, Press 'X' to display connections.

Step 5) Select your default connection

Step 6) Select 'Change Settings'

Step 7) Find the DNS section and select it.

Step 8) Select 'Don't Auto-obtain'.

Step 9) Set both of the following to the 'Primary DNS' and 'Secondary DNS'.

Step 10) Hit 'Confirm'

Step 11) Press 'B' to save

(Taken from https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki/1:-Blocking-Updates-From-Nintendo)

This way works fairly well most of the time but it can sometimes fail if the DNS servers go down and the update downloads. So it's best to pair this with another method.

2) URL Blocking

You can also block updates by preventing your Wii U from connections to Nintendo to check for updates. This can be done by blocking the following URLs. (NOTE: THIS WILL BLOCK THE eSHOP.)

• nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
    • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    • c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    • cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
    • cbvc.nintendo.net
    3) Deleting The Update Folder

This is a more riskey way BECAUSE there is an extremely small chance of a brick. (I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP AND BRICK IT!) Using the FTPii Homebrew app, and a PC program called "FileZilla", you can delete the folder from the System Memory and cause the update to fail. This is probably the most guaranteed way to block updates. Please follow these steps:

On Your Wii U

1) ENSURE YOU HAVE EITHER DNS OR URL BLOCKING ENABLED BEFORE POWERING ON YOUR WII U WITH YOUR WIFI ON!!

2) Run Mocha from the Homebrew launcher but don't enable any redirecting and press okay. This apparently gains the nessessary NAND access.

3) Relaunch the Homebrew launcher and run FTPii client.

On your PC:

1) Download "FileZilla" (Just Google it.) Or another FTP server client application.

2) Look at the gamepad and enter your IP and the port into FileZilla and press connect.

3) Then go into vol/storage_mlc/sys/ and Delete the folder called "Update" Then press the home button on the Gamepad to close the connection and power off your Wii U.

4) Close FileZilla and you should be good.

NOTE: It might also be a good idea to keep your Wii U unplugged when not in use to prevent a background update.

ALSO: TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES IN INTERNET SETTINGS! It's next to your MAC Address option.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if it did, or any questions. I personally have done all 3 and have experienced no issues with my Wii U attempting to update.

Last edited by Wolfer473, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:10 AM
  2. Wolfer473
    OP

Wolfer473 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2017
    United States
    Thank Goodness I Deleted The Update Folder.

Attached Files:

3. Pepois

Pepois GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2013
    Argentina
    Thanks for the quick guide Wolfer473, nice to have all pieced together. However, I wasn't able to find the "vol/system_slc/" I do have storage_slc, slccmpt01 among others but no system_slc. Tried with both Mocha and Coldboot.

[​IMG]

Warm regards
    Pepois

PokeAcer likes this.
  4. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    It should be storage_slc/system/

5. Pepois

Pepois GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2013
    Argentina
    Hi, I don't see a system folder inside storage_slc.

Regards

6. Wolfer473
    OP

Wolfer473 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for pointing this out. I had the wrong folder. The update folder is really inside storage_mlc/sys. Sorry for the confusion.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Sorry the folder is in storage_mlc/sys. I screwed up the names.

7. Pepois

Pepois GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2013
    Argentina
    No worries, however please do edit your 1st post so people won't get confused.

Warm regards
    Pepois

EDIT- nevermind, I just saw you already did. THANK YOU!

Last edited by Pepois, Jul 30, 2017
    Wolfer473 likes this.
  8. kantaroo

kantaroo Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2014
    Hi, thanks for this helpful post. Sorry to ask a very simple question, but regarding the second method, how do I block certain URLs? Is that something I do on the Wii U or on the router directly?
    Thanks again.

9. Wolfer473
    OP

Wolfer473 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2017
    United States
    Just on the router. I have a smart WiFi router so I just blocked the URLs in parental controls, and I'm not positive how to do it on a normal router but try going to 192.168.1.1 in a browser and look for a black or block list option. If that doesn't work then I'm sure there are some YouTube tutorials.

Last edited by Wolfer473, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:05 AM
  10. tetrabrik

tetrabrik Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sunday
    United States
    after going through method #1, I'm now getting a constant nagging message on the bottom right of "download management" about a download not being completed. Is this expected or did I do something wrong?

11. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yes, if you're blocking updates and whatnot, that's what should happen.

Wolfer473 and tetrabrik like this.
  12. willebug

willebug Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2013
    United States
    Will these sites being blocked also prevent my 3DS from contacting Nintendo and the eShop?

13. Wolfer473
    OP

Wolfer473 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2017
    United States
    It did that to me too. But I'd rather have that than a 5.5.2 console.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It depends. If you have a smart WiFi router you can block the links for the Wii U only and the eShop can connect on the 3DS, but if you block them router-wide then the eShop won't be able to connect on the 3DS. You don't have to have the URL Blocking if you deleted the update folder though.

tetrabrik likes this.
  14. willebug

willebug Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2013
    United States

Thanks I'm not sure that I really care about blocking the 3DS. My son and I splay animal crossing from time to time but we use the local connection feature. That shouldn't be affected.

Wolfer473 likes this.
  15. tetrabrik

tetrabrik Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sunday
    United States
    Agreed 100%! I just wanted to verify I didn't mess it up somehow. thanks for confirming.