Was there a recent hardware update?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Kira99, Dec 2, 2008.

Dec 2, 2008
  1. Kira99
    OP

Newcomer Kira99 Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm looking to buy 2 CycloDS's, and I'm in Toronto. So I called the owner of System Gears (licensed CycloDS seller), to pick it up.

I asked him about the colours, says only black because there was a hardware update as well as a firmware update to 1.51. White would only be available in a few months, and said white was unpopular anyway.

This true? I thought it was only a firmware update.

2. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    The "recent" hardware update was quite a while ago (I bought mine about the beginning of this year and it's the new version). The new version has a botched flashing recovery feature while the old version didn't, I think.

3. Priss

Member Priss GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Black vs White... Once upon a time CycloDS came only in white. At this time in history there were a lot of hardware failure with them.
    When the Black color hit the market, it was a day worth noting in history... CycloDS had fixed their not-so-reliable Cart, to jumping in
    top position for leading Cart on the Market. [​IMG]

Firmware update is up to v1.51... which has nothing to do with the retailers sales. I personally am still running v1.41.
    v1.50 and 1.51 came out within the last couple of months for game fixes and in-game text reader mainly.

That being said, I highly doubt some of the old defective CycloDS are still on the market, roaming and trying to target some poor schmuck for his money...
    so your safe to choose either color that will suit your DS best or your tastes. [​IMG]

4. Kira99
    OP

Newcomer Kira99 Advanced Member

Canada
    I bought 2 black CycloDS's today, checked hardware version (hold down+B on boot), it's hw 1.1.

I guess the seller was confused. Either way he didn't have any white ones.

5. patmag

Newcomer patmag Newbie

France
    Hi , the hw (hardware) is 1.1 for the new cyclo black or white (the processor no exceeded out the box); the old cyclo are in 1.0

the last fw (firmware) is 1.51 but , i stay in 1.41 because i read many post to update in 1.51 and crashed ,if i don't play with the games patched with this update the only improvement is the save power and it isn't very clear how it works.

can i have your opinion ?