Gaming Wanting to play Monster Hunter games :)

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Hey! So I was wondering whether to buy a monster hunter game for my 3DS but I'm not sure which, never really played it, on a difficulty of 1 - 10 how hard is it to get into playing it? I mainly play Pokémon only but need something new, other RPGs recommendations welcome !

Thanks!

Coconut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There are demos that you can play. Personally, I thought the controls were hard and I didn't like the main games. However, Monster Hunter Stories is amazing; the demo is availabe and the game releases in September :)

GearCross

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Monster hunter games are hard in my opinion.

I'm not an avid MH player since I get bored of it after a while, but my most played was Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii. If you have a general idea how Monster Hunter games are, you'll know that there are various weapons you can choose from. From a dagger to a lance or buster sword twice the size of the character you're playing which will greatly impact the strategy you have to employ when fighting...

But to answer your question, if I were to rate the difficulty of MH versus similar games I played, I would hand it over as a 7~8 out of 10. The thing is, the game is not hard to get into, it's hard to get deeper into. For a reference of what I mean, first boss monster I fought I managed to take it down on my second attempt, following fights against it were significantly easier, given I had greatly improved my equipment. Now the second boss it took me several attempts...

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Monster Hunter is a great game if you can get into it. It's hard to recommend playing the demos, since they rarely go into detail on how to play. I remember playing the 3U demo and hating everything about it, but after playing the full game for an hour, I was hooked. The basic process of the game is kill boss, get drops, make gear, kill harder boss. It's repetitive, sure, but it's a satisfying formula nonetheless. The games also tend to have a rather nice difficulty curve, giving you ample chance to upgrade your gear before fighting harder stuff.

It's definitely worth a shot in my opinion, especially if you can get some people to play it with you.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Monster hunter is like your everyday rpg. This time the combat comes in a dynamic, realtime-esque (explained below), monster hunting form.
Your "class" (how you have to play the game) is determined by your favourite weapon type (and vice-versa!).
Your level is defined by the quality of your equipment.

You can upgrade your equipment killing monsters! Sometimes lots of the same. Most likely every one of them multiple times.

You can extend your lifespan by healing yourself with items! (And you can craft or buy them)

The core of the game is undestanding monsters and their behaviour. They seem to have logic, basic thoughts. Wellp it's not quite that. The monsters move by sequences. It's like a rythm. A monster starts a movement, you detect the movement. Two choices: to evade or to hit. Any choice you do, next question is where you evade/hit. Minmax the s**t of the game (deal maximum damage receiving minimum damage) and is cheesecake until faaaaaaar deep into the game (where a single mistake is fatal) or multiplayer (where strategy: how to not disturb other players may be important to some).

To me, it's the most DarkSouls-esque game for 3ds. Still miss some honest difficulty (I mean, monster hunter is hard, but its bulls**t hard).

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

BraderPatam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's hard but it's probably the best game in 3DS imo. It's an action rpg so there's lack of story and no strategy involved in the fight. Just learn the monsters, craft more powerful weapon and armors from the drops and practice.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It is very hard to gt into these games. It is really a niche RPG. The games are very boring and repetitiv for most gamers, but some people love and adore the games. It is not for everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1