wanted: usb loader + refuse usb to sleep

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Legah, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. Legah
    OP

Newcomer Legah Advanced Member

Sweden
    I'm one of those who got the USB Loader working fine and it still is but I'm having problems with some games. When for example starting a new game in Super Mario Galaxy you have to watch all the movies etc and it seems that the Wii loads everything it needs and doesn't need access to disc in a while, this makes the usb-drive go to sleep mode and when the Wii wants to load again it locks up the entire wii. Only solution now is to unplug powercord and start again.
    And my drive is listed as a 'working' drive (Freecom 400GB (the hd inside is a Samsung)) but I can't find any tools or anything to prevent the drives sleep mode.
    So is there any way of perhaps sending a command to drive in usb loader before launching a game to prevent it from power save or what can we do?
    I'm guessing this is a common problem for many other drives too, so a solution would help a lot of people start using this oh so great usb loader.

2. knuttan

Newcomer knuttan Newbie

Norway
    I seem to be having the same problems with my Western Digital 1TB Essential, which is also listed as working in the compatibility wiki. Tried to turn off the sleep mode, but it is not possible with this drive as it's a feature built into the hardware of the enclosure.

A solution to this would be very welcome [​IMG]

3. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    I hope Waninkoko can fix this in new version

4. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    This problem is still keeping me from buying an external HDD. It's very difficult to find out what exactly the sleepmode functions are of the various HDD's available. Most specifications never mention it, they only tell stuff like speed, rpm.

5. Legah
    OP

Newcomer Legah Advanced Member

Sweden
    I'm not sure how this works but I'm guessing these might be possible solutions:

1. Send command to drive before starting game that tells the drive to never stop
    2. Have some command that runs in the background that touches a file every x minutes

Possible problems with the above:

1. Not sure if there's a general command that could be given to all drives to do this or not (i'm no hw coder)
    2. Is it possible to have a small loader running in memory that does this? Just touch a single 1byte file every x minutes should be enough to keep the drive from spinning down.

--
    does anyone know if there's even a remote possibility to do any of the above suggestions?