Wait… are outdated game updates still taking up storage on my SD?

Aphiliate313

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this is a dumb question but this is the first time I’ve ever come across this lol. Been bothering me for days because it’s making me question if I’m understanding how this works correctly.

I had 40 GB left on my SD card, and I needed to update a game. This game has already had a 2.5GB update that I had installed, and this new update was also 2.5GB. So the update probably only contains a few MB’s of additional data from the other one, normal. I place the update on my SD, leaving me with 37.5GB of storage left. Makes total sense. Except here’s where I get lost…

I install the update and delete the install file from my SD card… and I still only have 37.5GB left. Despite the game taking up the same amount of storage on the SD card after the new update is applied according to Settings < Data Management… I’m still out 2.5GB, and the past update seems to be sitting somewhere on the SD card still taking up space.

I’m not just tripping right? If I’m not, is there a way to delete past game updates installed from .NSP files?

Aphiliate313

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this is a dumb question but this is the first time I’ve ever come across this lol. Been bothering me for days because it’s making me question if I’m understanding how this works correctly.

I had 40 GB left on my SD card, and I needed to update a game. This game has already had a 2.5GB update that I had installed, and this new update was also 2.5GB. So the update probably only contains a few MB’s of additional data from the other one, normal. I place the update on my SD, leaving me with 37.5GB of storage left. Makes total sense. Except here’s where I get lost…

I install the update and delete the install file from my SD card… and I still only have 37.5GB left. Despite the game taking up the same amount of storage on the SD card after the new update is applied according to Settings < Data Management… I’m still out 2.5GB, and the past update seems to be sitting somewhere on the SD card still taking up space.

I’m not just tripping right? If I’m not, is there a way to delete past game updates installed from .NSP files?
Oh and let me clarify that I understand the file copies itself onto the SD card and that’s why it’s still 2.5GB taken up even after the install file is deleted. I’m talking about the game update that was installed prior to the new one being installed. Is that sitting somewhere on my SD card and can it be deleted?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I saw that GoldLeaf had an option to delete specific updates.
As far as I know the Switch updates contain all prior updates in each new update.
SmashBros has become an update of a few gigabytes over the years.
So if you can delete specific updates with GoldLeaf, in theory you should be able to delete all prior updates.
But I've never tried it though.

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
When I go to to the uninstall menu in tinfoil I always see all past updates listed there, so I presume yes, they seem to remain.

I guess you could always uninstall all updates and install just the last one.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

it only replaces the old files and adds any new files. if you do try looking at previous updates you will see they use no storage

Last edited by deathblade200,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The best thing to do would be delete ALL game updates, and then reinstall only the most current updates. That should shave off some space. And installing the games without the update partitions should help as well, just like on the Wii.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best thing to do would be delete ALL game updates, and then reinstall only the most current updates. That should shave off some space. And installing the games without the update partitions should help as well, just like on the Wii.
this saves you absolutely zero space and switch games don't have updates built into them this isn't the days of the PSP

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
this saves you absolutely zero space and switch games don't have updates built into them this isn't the days of the PSP
actually, the cartridges do. Both firmware updates, and game updates. It's not super common, but it does happen. For example I have two copies of 3d all stars. One of them is 1.0 the other is if I remember correctly. 1.0.1 on the other cartridge.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, the cartridges do. Both firmware updates, and game updates. It's not super common, but it does happen. For example I have two copies of 3d all stars. One of them is 1.0 the other is if I remember correctly. 1.0.1 on the other cartridge.
the files are set up the same exact way there as they are on the system itself as in they are two separate things and not embedded into the game itself. the only way you will get the main game nsp and update nsp together is if you specifically dump it like that like you can with DBI but even then its just 2 NSP files combined into 1 and any new update would overwrite the old update. (yes a cart is read only so obviously the update can only apply to the system in that case but thats not the point of this post)

Reactions: Rahkeesh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1