VLC audio compression

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by luckwii, Jun 26, 2010.

Jun 26, 2010

VLC audio compression by luckwii at 3:14 PM (3,456 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. luckwii
    OP

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am trying to research if there is, or how to use audio compression in VLC media player. I found their website, yet my browser says it has an invalid certificate. Does anyone know what plugin to download, or how to compress the audio via the settings? What I am trying to accomplish is to limit the loud scenes in movies so that I can watch movies and hear the talking scenes without blowing up my speakers on a loud scene. Anyone got this to work?

2. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    You need to enable Dynamic Range Compression in Prefs>Input / Codecs>Audio Codecs.

I think it is enabled by default for ac3 and dts audio.

3. luckwii
    OP

United States
    I went through the Prefs>Input / Codecs>Audio Codecs and did not see an option for dynamic range compression. Were you able to locate the checkbox?

I have the latest VLC. If compression is enabled by default, is there a way to adjust range? It would be nice to cut some of the peak volume down more. Right now I have the TV remote by my side in order to watch movies late night.

4. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    I can locate the checkbox, yeah - you need to make sure all/advanced options are showing (little box on the bottom left to select all/simple).

There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the range, sorry. :/

There is a volume normalizer, but the sound quality won't be brilliant, if it even works to cut the dynamic range.

5. luckwii
    OP

United States
    I must be missing a plugin or something. I can't find the enable box.