GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I was using GParted in the ubuntu live cd and it got some error at the very end of resizing my main vista partition to make room for W7 and it stops. I can't mount it so I restart and go back into the HD via ubuntu live cd. files are there, cool. restart, no windows boot. it goes from BIOS posting to black sreen. I tried using my vista DVD to do startup repairs, they say they fixed the issue yet no booting. any ideas? I can't tell if my MBR is shot or anything. I tried using the fixmbr command and it said it was fixed yet I'm no closer to vista than I was before. any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

-juggy

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
jesuschristmonkeyballs said:
I assume you can't get to safe mode because it dies right after the bios...?

Also, I've never installed vista, but with previous versions you could boot from the install CD and repair the installation.

I can't even interact with vista in any way unless with ubuntu.
frown.gif

what all would that change? would that delete my apps? my docs? etc?

is there a way where I can repair my BCD?

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think if you boot the vista cd (or windows 7 cd) , go to repair options, then get to the command prompt you could try repairing the bcd and mbr by typing
bootrec \fixmbr
bootrec \fixboot

the slashs might be the other way though

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is your Vista partition set as active (and the drive on which it is set as boot device in the BIOS)?

If all else fails btw, you could just install ubuntu as that should install grub which can chainloader +1
smile.gif

Btw, you know windows 7 requires you to install OVER a previously installed windows right?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does it say missing winload? If it does then boot up a Vista DVD, it'll autoscan and detect an error and it'll fix itself. I'd also recommend downloading EasyBCD afterwards and running it to complete fix the issue.

BTW, the best part of Windows 7 thus far is the fact that I have had to reboot after any driver installations.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I just followed a guide to remake my BCD from scratch. nothing. I have no effing idea what the hell is doing this!! no errors. no warnings. I tried all the "fix" commands in the recovery console. ubuntu sucks cock.

maybe it's a borked bootsecter?
I haven't "repaired" installed over an OS. what do I lose?? I have some very valuable things.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
Is your Vista partition set as active (and the drive on which it is set as boot device in the BIOS)?

If all else fails btw, you could just install ubuntu as that should install grub which can chainloader +1
smile.gif

Btw, you know windows 7 requires you to install OVER a previously installed windows right?

No. You can upgrade OR do a clean install.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
So, I just followed a guide to remake my BCD from scratch. nothing. I have no effing idea what the hell is doing this!! no errors. no warnings. I tried all the "fix" commands in the recovery console. ubuntu sucks cock.

I haven't "repaired" installed over an OS. what do I lose?? I have some very valuable things.

Did you try the auto repair function? You don't always have to go to the command prompt to fix issues.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
juggernaut911 said:

Did you try the auto repair function? You don't always have to go to the command prompt to fix issues.
yeah, that's how I started out. it didn't help at all
also, you can do a standalone FRESH install of Windows 7 without a previous vista install

this is pretty frustrating. I have no idea what is wrong. I'll take any idea of what's wrong, I just need something to go one before I break something

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Load up your windows 7 cd, and follow the install ation options till you get to Pick Upgrade, or Custom
Choose custom, and see if the windows 7 cd recognizes your partition and how much data/free space is on it

if it does, then its probably just a boot loader problem

if you've already got space for the windows 7 partition, install windows 7 to it and see if you can boot vista

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
ubuntu sucks cock.
Honestly.....

Did you even CHECK wether your Vista partition was still set as active like I suggested (if you already tried lots of things such as BCD then it's prolly to late to do that)??

Do a standalone install of 7 and hope it detects your Vista and adds it to it's bootloader options. As rhguy sais.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
It is active.

So, I just reinstalled vista and it still doesn't boot. I'm getting a 500GB HD soon so I'll back up my crap to that and reformat my current one and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't...
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1