Virus On my Friend's PC

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Myidentityisasec, Dec 24, 2009.

Dec 24, 2009
  1. Myidentityisasec
    OP

Newcomer Myidentityisasec Advanced Member

United States
    When I shut it down, it says installing updates and never ends. When I go to safe mode, it's the blue screen of death and just says "?" Also, since it won't shut down, I can't do a system restore. Please help. Thanks

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    That might just be a computer problem. If your friend has a backup, tell him to re-install Windows, then restore his stuff.

3. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    That's not necessarily a virus - sometimes crappy windows update can do that. Have seen it before. As previously suggested, easiest fix is to back stuff up and reformat.

If he/she doesn't play a lot of games then suggest Linux to him/her, either Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Both can be run from CD to try them out first without installing. I really recommend it as they don't get issues like this and most non games windows software works on Linux (or there are free alternatives).

4. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    if you do try Linux then install "wine" from winehq.org

it runs a lot of windows programs - not all, but most.
    and often a bit faster than windows does!!! [​IMG]

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It's a common enough problem on windows XP, if that's what you are running. Try the following and see if it helps.