virgin wii 4.3 e

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by daveangel, Feb 10, 2011.

Feb 10, 2011

virgin wii 4.3 e by daveangel at 8:09 PM (1,058 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. daveangel
    OP

Newcomer daveangel Member

United Kingdom
    Hi

I have a virgin wii that came with 4.3E. i used exploit to run the hackmii installer

it says the homebrew channel can be installed (green)

and

bootmii can only be installed as an ios (orange)

the installed boot 1 version prevents boot 2 install (-2)

i have just destroyed one wii, so can someone confirm this looks good and its ok to hit A

thanks

2. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    The hackmii installer is one of the safest pieces of homebrew out there. The development team goes far beyond most programmers in their efforts to produce solid, safe code. All the installer is saying is that the Homebrew channel can be installed, which is a good thing. It also states that BootMii can be installed, which is also a good thing, but can only be installed as an IOS which while not bad, is not optimal.

Let me explain the latter more. You benefit from installing BootMii for the brick protection it can provide. It can only provide the best brick protection if it can be installed by modifying a Wii's Boot2. Newer Wii's do not have a vulnerable Boot1 which allows for the Boot2 code to be altered. You have one such Wii. So while BootMii can be installed as an IOS and can make a NAND backup, it can only be booted after the Wii system menu executes. So if your system menu is foobar, you will not be able to run BootMii/IOS to restore your NAND. BootMii/Boot2 overcomes this as it is launched before any IOS and system menu is run.

So go ahead and install the Homebrew Channel and BootMii, you don't have to worry about them harming your Wii. I would suggest installing Priiloader as it will provide some brick protection as it inserts itself in the beginning the System Menu. It can help you recover from some bricks giving you access to homebrew utilities and boot BootMii/IOS as well.

-[]D

3. daveangel
    OP

Newcomer daveangel Member

United Kingdom
    thanks guys!

normally i would have hit GO but really windy. sorry for the wasted post but it sorts my mind out for one, and hopefully will be of use to someone else.

thanks to PPSainity for the useful explanation of whats happening.

thanks again!!