Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From some hack at the BBC:

"Playing violent video games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D or Mortal Combat can increase aggressive thoughts, feelings and behaviour, say researchers.

They warn that violent video games may be more harmful than violent television or films because they are interactive, and require the player to identify with the aggressive character.

Psychologists Dr Craig Anderson, from Iowa State University of Science and Technology, and Dr Karen Dill, from Lenoir-Rhyne College, carried out two studies.

The first showed that young men who are habitually aggressive may be particularly vulnerable to the effects of repeated exposure to violent games.

The second showed that everybody can become temporarily more aggressive after even a brief exposure to violent games.

In the first study 227 college students were asked to rate their level of aggression.

Dr Anderson said: "We found that students who reported playing more violent video games in junior and high school engaged in more aggressive behaviour.

"We also found that amount of time spent playing video games in the past was associated with lower academic grades in college."

In the second study, 210 college students played either a violent (Wolfenstein 3D) or non-violent video game (Myst).

A short time later, the students who played the violent video were found to be more aggressive than those who had played the non-violent game.

This was measured experimentally by recording the length of time the volunteers "punished" an opponent by blasting them with a loud noise.

Dr Anderson said: "Violent video games provide a forum for learning and practising aggressive solutions to conflict situations.

"In the short run, playing a violent video game appears to affect aggression by priming aggressive thoughts.

"Longer-term effects are likely to be longer lasting as well, as the player learns and practices new aggression-related scripts that can become more and more accessible for use when real-life conflict situations arise."

Dr Anderson said a major concern was the fact that playing video games was more active than watching television or film.

He said: "This medium is potentially more dangerous than exposure to violent television and movies, which are known to have substantial effects on aggression and violence."

Dr Guy Cumberbatch, a chartered psychologist and expert in media violence, said it was difficult to draw firm conclusions from research.

"You cannot simulate in a laboratory the complex social problems that people are concerned about, and overall the actual evidence supporting a link between media violence and real violence is very weak."

Dr Cumberbatch said research showed that some people were stimulated simply by the fast pace of action films, rather than their violent content.

The research is published in the American Psychological Association's Journal of Personality and Social Psychology."

Sigh yet more British scientists badmouthing our little hobby, I personally sometimes play games to vent some anger, without them I'll probably be arrested for nailing a kitchen table to some guy who annoys me on a regular basis.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive played heaps of bloody video games in my life and I have only got agressive because the crappy computer in my room lags sometimes.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow did someone just hit search and repeat the hypothesis of many a "soccer mom".

Oh well:
"Playing violent video games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D or Mortal Combat can increase aggressive thoughts, feelings and behaviour, say researchers.

I might one day have played high school football, I can not be certain but aggression may have risen there.

The first showed that young men who are habitually aggressive may be particularly vulnerable to the effects of repeated exposure to violent games.
To paraphrase Duke Ferris ( http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/vio..._and_videogames )
I went to the opera the other night and it is safe to say most people were rich, should I desire wealth I know exactly where to go now.

In the first study 227 college students were asked to rate their level of aggression.
It might just be me but college is an optional pastime undertaken by those who both can and want to, not quite a random sample there.

Dr Anderson said: "We found that students who reported playing more violent video games in junior and high school engaged in more aggressive behaviour.
See above.

In the second study, 210 college students played either a violent (Wolfenstein 3D) or non-violent video game (Myst).
210 seems remarkably low but what the hey. Also it pays to use some modern equipment.

"This was measured experimentally by recording the length of time the volunteers "punished" an opponent by blasting them with a loud noise."

Also tested was how nasty the evil eye lasted.

TheStick

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Link to the story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/720707.stm

It's a legitimate study, with no speculation, and no video game bashing.

QUOTE said:
Dr Guy Cumberbatch, a chartered psychologist and expert in media violence, said it was difficult to draw firm conclusions from research.
There you go.

It's just a study, which showed that games might make us a little more aggressive than usual. Nothing bad here.
smile.gif

PS: British scientists?! where?
huh.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It's different for everyone, but you have to admit that any sort of media can affect unstable, illogical or immature individuals in some way. Video games can be a contributing factor, but so can a large variety of other things. I believe taking steps to minimize the risk such as enforcing ratings on video games is logical, as this doesn't in any way impact people who are legitimately buying their games. But a lot of the ideas they are talking about putting into action beyond that seem ridiculous.
Really we're just talking about (supposedly) straws breaking the camel's back here. For the rest of us (ie. the vast majority) video games have little or no effect in regards to violent behaviour.

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
[Interview for Research]

Interviewer : So, are you violent?
Student 01 : Oh, no way!
Interviewer : Sorry, you're not who we want. Next!
Student 02 : Violent? Man, I get turned on by that fukkin shit!
Interviewer : Aight, you're hired! ;o

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
[Interview for Research]

Student 01 : Oh, no way!
Interviewer : Sorry, you're not who we want. Next!
Student 02 : Violent? Man, I get turned on by that fukkin shit!
Interviewer : Aight, you're hired! ;o

Haha jep thats how it works alright

Live from the streets at gbatemp tjas for fox headlines:

Thank you fox and I'm standing in the topics of gbatemp to question gamers;
Question: Do you ever get agressive when playing games?
gamer1: No
yaynds.gif

gamer2: No
yaynds.gif

gamer3: No
yaynds.gif

gamer4: No
yaynds.gif

gamer5: No
yaynds.gif

gamer6: No
yaynds.gif

gamer7: No
yaynds.gif

gamer8: No
yaynds.gif

gamer9: No
yaynds.gif

gamer10: No
yaynds.gif

gamer11: yes
hate2.gif

Well that prooves it! Games make aggressive

Live from gbatemp for fox news, back to the studio

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Research has shown that students who are willing to participate in polls and/or studies are not likely to reflect the behaviour of the majority, because the majority tries to avoid polls and/or case studies like the plague. Many studies actually being on the effect of plague on humans, who can blame us?

EDIT:

Q: Are you agressive?
Gamer: No.
Q: Are you sure?
G: Yes.
Q: Are you realy sure?
Q: Certain?
Q: ABsolutely certain?
G: YES!
Q: So you're saying you're not violent?
Q: Are you absolutely, 100% sure?
G: AAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

And there you have it. Gamers tend to get violent.

VIOLENCE!!!
hate2.gif
[/violence]

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Research has shown that students who are willing to participate in polls and/or studies are not likely to reflect the behaviour of the majority, because the majority tries to avoid polls and/or case studies like the plague. Many studies actually being on the effect of plague on humans, who can blame us?

EDIT:

Q: Are you agressive?
Gamer: No.
Q: Are you sure?
Q: Are you realy sure?
Q: Certain?
Q: ABsolutely certain?
Q: So you're saying you're not violent?
Q: Are you absolutely, 100% sure?
G: AAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

And there you have it. Gamers tend to get violent.

VIOLENCE!!!
hate2.gif
[/violence]
Thank you veho for your report live from the topics of gbatemp, Foxnews

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's funny how these researchers are quick to say that violent video games cause violent behavior, but they never seem to consider that maybe violent people like to play violent video games.

Zendrik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Violent games don't make me violent. It's those "kiddie" games. Anyone played Billy Hatcher, Sonic (XBox 360 version), or Puzzle Quest. Cheap insta-kills, bad cameras, and hacking f***ing cpu players make me aggressive. lol

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
From some hack at the BBC:

"mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp mworp mwarp mworp mworp mwurp "

Sigh yet more British scientists badmouthing our little hobby, I personally sometimes play games to vent some anger, without them I'll probably be arrested for nailing a kitchen table to some guy who annoys me on a regular basis.
lecture.gif

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Violeng Video Game (Wolfenstein 3D) X Non-violent video game (Myst)

It is like you compare someone who just played soccer with one who just played chess.

The games are tottaly different. Soccer is not about war, but you are full of endorfine, adrenaline, etc. When you finish playing it, you would be more propense to have a agressive response because of that.

Chess is about war, but you just have to think, and not run, scream and stuff. You tend to be more thoughful just after playing chess.

Do you see what's my point?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After playing Pac-Man, I go out and pop pills and try to eat people and steal cherries from markets. Then I go eat some more people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.