VI VS. MSWord

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by _V1qY, Sep 9, 2012.

Sep 9, 2012

VI VS. MSWord by _V1qY at 7:39 PM (1,090 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. _V1qY
    OP

Member _V1qY GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Personally I think VI is the best editor since it's open source and free and it's much faster and just overal better, but that might just be because I'm used to it, some people preffer MSWord.

So I want to know what your opinions are!

2. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Are you serious? The two are not even comparable. They both serve a completely different purpose. Unless you're not talking about the command line program Vi?

3 people like this.
  3. _V1qY
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well yes. I suppose you're right. MSWord is aimed at older people who are new to technology and only need computers to email relatives and print out pictures.

And yes, of course I mean the command line editor, the one everyone has grown to love. What other VI is there?

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    You're comparing a text editor with next to no formatting capabilities to one with said capabilities, I'm not even sure how that makes sense.

They're both good. For completely different purposes that is.

5. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    I would love to see someone write a college paper, with images and all, in Vi. Vi is for code, config files and stuff, Word is for text files. There's a big difference between the two.

2 people like this.
  6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    http://www.tug.org/ (tex) and I guess http://www.latex-project.org/

Personally I abstract it a level further with http://www.lyx.org/ but seeing something written in raw latex is not even cause to raise an eyebrow in certain circles (which definitely includes university/college and academia*) and it is not unknown for it to be a required thing/skill sought out for typists/secretaries.

*I might even go so far as to say if you have a phd or large structured essay to write then a tex derivative is the better option. Personally I write all my engineering and professional documents (the ROM hacking docs too for that matter) in lyx and much prefer that for such things than a WYSIWYG editor like word, libre/open office writer or abiword.

1 person likes this.
  7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    is this thread a joke?

at least compare it too open office

1 person likes this.
  8. ouch123

Member ouch123 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I prefer Vim over MS Word... for writing code. Then again, MS Word injects a lot of formatting that causes compilers to not compile the code. This seems like a really bad comparison.

On another note, I've used MiKTeX before and I'm not sure I see the relationship between it and Vi, but it's likely I missed something there.

9. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Okay, if you seriously want to compare text editors, at least think about their purpose.

As it was said earlier, MS Word is a text editor with a strong inclination towards printed documents - its main focus is on text formatting. Vim on the otherhand is a notepad with its main focus on writing code.

If you want to compare Word with something, compare it with OpenOffice Writer. If you want to compare Vim with something, compare it with Notepad++ or Programmer's Notepad.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Hey guys what's better, a blowjob or pancakes?

4 people like this.
  11. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Microsoft Word?
    Real programmers use Emacs.

12. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    It's almost as if it's less of a text editor and more of a.... word... processor

Holy sh*t I think I might me on to something here! :)

13. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    One of the few which have lowercase letters.

15. YoshiInAVoid

Member YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    "Real Men™ code in binary, carving the bits right into the ROM chip on the PCB with their dick."

16. TheRedfox

Member TheRedfox Admire our great leader ;o;

Korea, North
    *me is ashamed he codes with nano and doesnt know much emacs/vi keyboard shortcuts :(

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately YoshiInAVoid when taken into account with all the other requirements to be one of the "Real Men™" that is impossible in light of most other requirements of being one of the "Real Men™" requiring one to possess very little control over their dick.

I realised I did not do anything about the opening post

Windows
    Notepad++ for everything up to and including things that would probably be better served by using the bundled editor (I will write python in it rather than use IDLE and such). This often includes thrashing out forum posts (primarily as it is a touch more stable than me when I am playing around with a web browser) and messing around with lists. Not being a proper programmer I am rarely saddled with a full on IDE so no comment there.
    I do have graphical Vim installed but it is there mainly for ssh.
    After this lyx for anything longer than two pages, libreoffice writer and impress (slideshow component) for when I have to thrash out a quick and dirty poster/letter/similar (that or a graphics editor) and abiword is there but libreoffice took open office and ran with it sending it beyond abiword so I go with that now. I do have abiword portable on my USB drive of wonder though.
    I have a copy of MS office 2k3 installed as well but never use it unless both libreoffice and abiword fail to open a document or I have to check that something will absolutely open in MS word (rarer and rarer now everybody accepts PDF or even HTML). I have used later versions and probably have a few installed somewhere but I am not a ribbon fan and I can not think of a thing it has over libreoffice for what I do.

Using a formatting capable editor for programming style things.... not since I was playing hacker on school systems (notepad was blocked and word allowed inserting of arbitrary exe files if you edited the "local" config to add the ability to insert objects back in) have I done such a thing and this was a time when novell netware* was still the done thing. I know you can press save as and select whatever encoding you need and there is web view but when notepad++ and such have pretty good syntax support as as well things to say reindent code and proper regular expressions Word is the lesser tool by far.

*those rocking in the corner now/disgusted at my language it is OK- it will not hurt you again.

Linux
    Nano/pico is my usual command line friend if I have my way.
    Vi(m) I can use but usually only use it when I am following a guide and need to do the "eliminate other problems then do it properly" dance.
    Geany is about the only graphical plain text editor I can remember the name of right now but usually it is command line for anything that needs a text editor.
    See the previous comments about other editors as they apply to linux as well.

I can not even consciously recall using emacs ever so not that.

Frankly though now web browsers include a dictionary as does my email client I will often use those for a lot of my typing.

18. _V1qY
    OP

United Kingdom
    Of course this topic is a joke!... Everyone already knows that Vi is better. This topic can be closed now, I have my answer.

19. TheRedfox

Member TheRedfox Admire our great leader ;o;

Korea, North
    I dont get it you are comparing VI with msword, you should compare vi to notepad or even edit(not found in winvista+) and msword to libreoffice...

20. _V1qY
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm trolling you!

Of course this comparison is stupid to make, it's preposterous!