Gaming VGA splitter cable question.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I realize I should have asked this before buying them but I've just bougt a GA splitter cable which is 2F to 1M. I've bought it so I don't have to keep reaching around to the back of the PC to swap the cables over when I want to watch the PC on my LCD TV. Does anyone else do this? If you do does it cause any problems?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Ive never used them but I know people who use splitters, apparently because the signal is split the quality of the picture degrades. I havent heard about any other problems apart from that.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Ive never used them but I know people who use splitters, apparently because the signal is split the quality of the picture degrades. I havent heard about any other problems apart from that.

That's not too much of a problem unless it degrades alot. If it's too bad I might try a proper VGA switcher box, have you used any?

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, there will be some some signal loss by splitting the single source.

What you can also do is pick up a really really cheap graphics card that has two video outputs, so you can use it as a second monitor or output to both simultaneously. You can also use a cheap KVM switch or VGA box, but honestly, it'll probably cost around the same as a cheap graphics card.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
No im afraid not, Im guessing a switcher box would keep the original picture pretty much intact. And as for splitters I dont think the picture is that bad with them, just a bit lower quality. I guess the type of splitter you use makes a difference.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
As long as it's not too much of a signal loss I can live with it. The new card idea sounds interesting though. I could probably do with a new card anyway. Can anyone recommend a decent cheapish card that allows 2 monitor hookups that will work ok on an Athalon 2400?

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I remember you saying your board is AGP right? Those cards are pretty cheap, I have a dual monitor card on my PC, it works really well and was dirt cheap.

This one http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/hd_2600pro/

Dont expect it to run crysis on max or anything, but graphics wise its pretty respectable for the price (around £50 sterling) And I run all my HD movies with it and it works fine!

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Can anyone recommend a decent cheapish card that allows 2 monitor hookups that will work ok on an Athalon 2400?

If you really meant Athlon 2400, then you probably have an AGP system.

You could pick up an Nvidia 6800LE for next to nothing on eBay. I'm not sure how much you're worried about PC gaming though.

If you have a PCI-express slot for graphics though, you have a lot more options open to you.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
I remember you saying your board is AGP right? Those cards are pretty cheap, I have a dual monitor card on my PC, it works really well and was dirt cheap.

This one http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/hd_2600pro/

Dont expect it to run crysis on max or anything, but graphics wise its pretty respectable for the price (around £50 sterling) And I run all my HD movies with it and it works fine!

To be honest apart from the odd blast on Mame I barely use my PC for gaming. Looking at that card it has the same connections as the back of mine. I thought dual output mean 2 VGA outputs on the card. The other connector is a DVI output isn't it? Will I get better results if I buy a DVI to VGA adaptor?

velocity37 said:
QUOTE(TrolleyDave @ Jan 23 2009, 05:35 AM) Can anyone recommend a decent cheapish card that allows 2 monitor hookups that will work ok on an Athalon 2400?

If you really meant Athlon 2400, then you probably have an AGP system.

You could pick up an Nvidia 6800LE for next to nothing on eBay. I'm not sure how much you're worried about PC gaming though.

If you have a PCI-express slot for graphics though, you have a lot more options open to you.

No PCI-express as far as no, just AGP. I'll look into that card, cheers for the suggestion,

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Oh mate if you already have a VGA and a DVI output on your current card yeah just get an adapter, there will be no difference at all between the two, and an adapter costs nothing, like a couple of quid. Thats what I use. You do get an adapter bundled with this card though, so it is essentially a dual VGA card.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Sweet, the adapter is better for you anyway, instead of just cloning your display you can have dual or extended desktops and stuff!
yaypsp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.