Hacking Variable Barricade (English Version 0.9)

FineThenIWill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

After getting a question back on reddit in March 2022 wondering if Variable Barricade was possible in English, I looked into it and saw it was pretty easy to modify.

After abandoning my progress on the patch for 3 months (woops), I finally decided to buckle down and finish it.

This is version 0.92 as there's most likely a good chunk of images I wasn't able to insert, it should still be playable.

This involved a lot of hand-done stuff like the font and images, the rest like scripts are taken from the switch version.

What's been modified:
- Game's Scripts / System Messages
- Most Images
- Font custom-tuned since drag and drop didn't work.

What hasn't been modified:
- Movies (They're just the end credits and OP, nothing game-breaking and the repatched movie file is MUCH larger than the original, so I didn't bother including them)
- Some Images I may have missed.
- Any new additions (The switch version has exculsive scenarios)
- Name Changing (Still the original JP letters, but the default has been set to their name Hibari)

Speculated Issues:
- Some images that hasn't been touched may be game-breaking, let me know if any arises!
- The game may end improperly since the after-stories were included in the switch version (I believe they are in a seperate menu for the switch version however)

Modified June 15 2022:

1. Accquire a copy of Variable Barricade and ensure you have the rePatch plugin installed.

2. Head into VitaShell and hover over "PCSG01159", then hit triangle and click "Open decrypted"

3. Now connect the vita to your computer by your preferred method.
Ensure the files aren't operating system protected if connected via USB, if you don't know how to convert them, copy and paste GAME/STORY/SYSTEM.cpk to a different folder on the vita.

4. Drag these three unprotected files into the "input" folder of this patch.
- data/GAME.cpk
- data/STORY.cpk
- data/SYSTEM.cpk

The folder should look like:
input/
GAME.cpk
STORY.cpk
SYSTEM.cpk

5. Run the file that matches your operating system's name.

6. Drag the newly created repatch folder into your ux0 folder.

Enjoy!

Download the patcher here!
Many thanks to u/chinseng85 for pointing out a problem with the barricade board system.

*I've only tested Windows and Linux since I don't own a Mac

TG5HhfQ.jpg

nbIjK0W.jpg

7EXORzN.jpg

iZ91RaF.jpg

*Copyrights are auto included when screenshoting a vita*

Let me know if any issues arise, see you around!

Last edited by FineThenIWill,

koukazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this!! I used vita3k, and I just want to tell anyone who might use it too that no plugins are needed to install this. I spent hours trying to install the plugins, and finally decided to use your instructions without it. That was the best way IMO. There are some minor issues with textures, but it doesn't interfere with UI or anything so it's still playable. I appreciate the hard work to get this patch on ps vita!!

Reactions: Miraeyoo

Miraeyoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thanks for this!! I used vita3k, and I just want to tell anyone who might use it too that no plugins are needed to install this. I spent hours trying to install the plugins, and finally decided to use your instructions without it. That was the best way IMO. There are some minor issues with textures, but it doesn't interfere with UI or anything so it's still playable. I appreciate the hard work to get this patch on ps vita!!
i tried it on vita3k, it doesnt work for me, how did you do to get it work? Can you give me specific details? Thank you!

homuraakemi5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What should be in the RePatch folder after running the script? I ran the Windows one and only GAME.cpk shows up in the newly created repatch folder. The patch doesn't seem to be applied to the actual game after following the rest of the steps.
Post automatically merged:

What should be in the RePatch folder after running the script? I ran the Windows one and only GAME.cpk shows up in the newly created repatch folder. The patch doesn't seem to be applied to the actual game after following the rest of the steps.
Nevermind, did a clean install of the entire patch and recopied the files from the app folder. The script worked perfectly this time! Thank you for all your work on this :)

Last edited by homuraakemi5,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte