Valve Cracks Down on Trading - Region Locks Activated in Several Games

D

Deleted-236924

They still want to sell games in those regions, and a lot of people there wouldn't be able to afford/be willing to pay the higher price.

So if everyone stops buying games on Steam and says "it's because they're too expensive", they'll have to lower the prices?
Cool! Let's start tomorrow.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
So if everyone stops buying games on Steam and says "it's because they're too expensive", they'll have to lower the prices?
Cool! Let's start tomorrow.

That's not how it works... In theory yes but how do you actually get every steam user to just ignore games - this includes physical and 3rd party digital stores that sell games activating on steam as valve gets percent from those too? In those countries it literally means that if they sell games as same price as they do here they wouldn't sell one single copy! Here something like COD:Ghosts is 60€ and it was steams top seller for awhile.
We have been lucky that valve only recently took actions. Region locking is dumb but if people are taking advantage of it then of course valve should take action. Getting game as gift from friend or buying game while on vacation is fair, mass buying game copies and trading them for virtual goods or even real money is not that fair. Question is how do they distinguish between which is which unless breaking user privacy or worse?

I shall use this as an example of why I can continue to ignore Steam.

I'm glad there still are other stores like GOG. Steam has done surprisingly well keeping users satisfied but it's still almost monopoly when it comes to PC games and monopoly is never good *goughmicrosoftgough*. I kind of hope that origin would keep up but they had really REALLY bad start and haven't improved much at all where valve is already also dominating linux and making "console". Steam is just so convinient to use and especially now they added big picture it's super easy to plug HDMI and play from sofa and the trading cards...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's not how it works... In theory yes but how do you actually get every steam user to just ignore games - this includes physical and 3rd party digital stores that sell games activating on steam as valve gets percent from those too? In those countries it literally means that if they sell games as same price as they do here they wouldn't sell one single copy! Here something like COD:Ghosts is 60€ and it was steams top seller for awhile.
We have been lucky that valve only recently took actions. Region locking is dumb but if people are taking advantage of it then of course valve should take action. Getting game as gift from friend or buying game while on vacation is fair, mass buying game copies and trading them for virtual goods or even real money is not that fair. Question is how do they distinguish between which is which unless breaking user privacy or worse?

I'm glad there still are other stores like GOG. Steam has done surprisingly well keeping users satisfied but it's still almost monopoly when it comes to PC games and monopoly is never good *goughmicrosoftgough*. I kind of hope that origin would keep up but they had really REALLY bad start and haven't improved much at all where valve is already also dominating linux and making "console". Steam is just so convinient to use and especially now they added big picture it's super easy to plug HDMI and play from sofa and the trading cards...
The problem with competition in this particular case is that it would also ruin part of the reason why Steam is so nice - all your games are in one place, just double click to play/install. If your games are spread out over two services you'll have to check which one has the game you want to play each time.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The problem with competition in this particular case is that it would also ruin part of the reason why Steam is so nice - all your games are in one place, just double click to play/install. If your games are spread out over two services you'll have to check which one has the game you want to play each time.

QFT, I hate that I have to start Origin specifically for BF3, it's super annoying and I keep forgetting about it. The extra updates totally kill the experience too

Regionlocking is stupid IMHO, the internet is free and worldwide, any form of constraint is a no-no in my book.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NO111ONE @ NO111ONE: Oh my god drug dealers inbound, panic