v.9.7, where do I start??

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Joe Blame, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Joe Blame
    OP

Joe Blame Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2015
    Hey guys,

I had Tubehax going on my old system but Nintendo screwed me and I wasn't able to install browserhax (my system doesn't let me connect to the internet)

So I grabbed my old 3DS and it's still at Ver. 9.7.0-25E. After booting it up I turned off Wireless and haven't accessed the browser, shop or anything like this, and haven't updated. I don't want to potentially screw myself (as I have loads of import games now and I really need this to work!!!)

So, where do I start, I need a dummies guide. This system has never had any hax put onto it, is it possible to get homebrew (and thus, region free) running on this system, or am I screwed?

Please help before I cave and buy a US system from ebay! Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

2. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    If you haven't already had the update message, you can use browserhax or themehax. There's threads somewhere on here which tell you about them.

3. lolzvid

lolzvid GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Brazil
  4. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    ^ or that. :P

lolzvid likes this.
  5. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    If you haven't brought it yet why don't you get a 9.2 console?

Voxel likes this.
  6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Browserhax should work on 9.7, without having to block anything or use any fancy DNSes. They only added the update nag from the browser that came with 9.9 and up.
    From there, you can install Menuhax which is a lot more convenient.

They have a 9.7

Voxel likes this.
  7. Joe Blame
    OP

Joe Blame Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2015
    I would much rather get a hack working than buy a whole new system! As I said I have a 9.7.

Thanks for the links to the image, thats the one I've been using to actually have some hope I can do this. If anyone can guide me to a thread that explains how to go from a clean 3DS to a hacked one (via Browserhax) I would really appreciate that. I've clicked a lot of helpful looking threads but they start using a lot of jargon I'm not familiar with. As I said, I can try, but what I don't want to do is accidentally block THIS 3DS too.

8. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    9.2 and under supplies a kernel exploit and piracy! Who doesn't want that? :P

9. Joe Blame
    OP

Joe Blame Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2015
    So do I simply load boot.3dsx onto the root of my SD card and make the 3ds/ folder, and then scan that QR code with my WiFi turned off and the special DNS input into my internet settings, is it as easy as that?

How do I then go about installing Themehax afterwards?

10. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Nah, it's a lot harder than that!

11. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    If it was free, yeah. But that requires extra spending.
    Might be possible for OP to sell their 9.7 3DS and buy one on 9.2 or lower, but the <=9.2 3DS would probably cost more than the 9.7 one would sell for unless they find a seller who doesn't really know anything about any of this.
    So in the end there would be extra spending involved, but if they sold their current one, it won't be as much as paying for a whole new 3DS.

That being said, judging by their post, I think they're mostly interested in being able to play their imported games on their 3DS, so just having HBL access would be plenty.

@OP

https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
    Follow this guide to use browserhax to enter HBL

From there, install Menuhax 2.0
    https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases/download/v2.0/menuhax_v2.0.zip

You can even use custom themes with that, and it should be future-proof unless you end up having to update your 3DS.

Also you don't need any special DNS, you are under 9.9

Last edited by Ammako, Dec 3, 2015
    Joe Blame and Voxel like this.
  12. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I did mean if he happened to sell it, yeah.
    Although they are apparently selling exploitable 3DSs for around $69.99. Or was that just in the Back Friday sales?

13. Joe Blame
    OP

Joe Blame Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2015
    Dude, thank you so much!!!!! It worked, THANKS!!!

Voxel likes this.