Using same HDD for WiiU/vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by victor.m, Nov 19, 2013.

1. victor.m
    OP

victor.m Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2013
    United States
    Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this so I'm sorry if this information is available elsewhere. I looked through the stickied posts and tried searching the forums, but did not find any definitive answers.

I am wondering if it's possible to use the same HDD to hold both WiiU data (downloaded eShop games, etc), as well as Wii backups, so that I can use one hard drive for both purposes?

I think I read somewhere, but can't remember where, than you can make multiple partitions and set one to be hidden so the WiiU don't detect it, but then use a modified version of CFG that will detect the hidden partition? Am I making that up or is there a write up/tutorial on how to do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Portland, Oregon
    No you cant use the same drive for wii u and vwii backups even if you make two partitions when you go to format your wii u partition it will overwrite both partitions and turn them into one wii u partition. As for this http://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-solved.352786/ it hides your vwii hdd from the wii u so you dont get a promp asking you if you want to format your hdd everytime you go to the wii u system menu. Ustealth is not compatible with all homebrew mostly just usb loaders.

3. victor.m
    OP

victor.m Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2013
    United States
    Thanks, really appreciate the link. I think I'll be using a 16gb SDHC card for emulation then (if it's at all possible in vWii), and will try to have 2 HDDs hooked up to the WiiU - one for vWii, and one for the WiiU itself. I got my first HDD working in vWii with USB loaders and hidden to the WiiU, my plan going forward is to keep this one hidden, but connect a second one to the second USB port on the back of the WiiU but use an external USB power brick to keep them powered (since the WiiU's single USB port is not enough). I wonder if it'll work..since the WiiU will only be able to see the unhidden drive, and the loaders will only see the drive connected to the top USB port.