Using Pre-Exploited SD Cards in Different 3DS Systems?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Tee_, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Tee_
    OP

Tee_ Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hello. I used the Seedminer hack myself on my own O3DS and everything went okay.

Thing is, I have a friend internationally (Canada) that wants to use Homebrew and CFW on her O3DS 11.8U firmware, but she doesn’t know how to do this. I checked and already found that seedminer DOES infact work for her firmware and I wanted to prepare an SD card for her with the exploits and send it to her in the mail, in hopes that she could simply insert it into her system and have the exploit work, if not that I’d guide her through the install steps through Skype of whatever. I wondered if this is possible?

I already have an exact clone of my working seedminer exploited SD card (with Luma 3DS, BS9 etc) since I upgraded to a bigger size not long ago, so if I sent her that would it just work? Or would it need final steps on her end, or worst case scenario - would it brick her system? To clarify, I was not on the same firmware as this person when I did the exploit, however it is compatible with both firmwares.

I’m tying to do as much research as possible before I go ahead (or don’t go ahead) with this. The entire process is too long to do over one Skype call and since she doesn’t know what she’s doing, I wanted to do the most of it for her. And it’s not possible for her to send me her console.

Any replies will really help, including how I can do this (if possible) or why I shouldn’t. Thanks for your time and I really hope one of y’all can help me. Thanks!

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Doesn't work that way, you still needs to install B9S and set up Luma on the system , copy and pasting doesn't work.

zacchi4k and Hunter like this.
  3. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    Been a while since I did it but wouldn't they have to mine their own movable.sed too?

4. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    I never done the DSIware method , so Im not an expert on that, my initial post was simply answering that you cant simply copy and paste and expect to have cfw.

5. Tee_
    OP

Tee_ Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering since I literally did copy and paste the contents of my old SD card to a new, bigger one and it worked. Probably because I had already installed stuff, though.

So, is there a way I can do this? If I gave her the files needed, sent her the card then guided her through the install on her 3DS? Would that work?

6. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    B9S is installed on the system, not on the card, boot.firm that is stored on the SD card is the CFW. Giving your friend the file without installing B9S wouldn't work. Probably be best if your friend start from scratch then taking all your files.

7. Hunter

Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Former Staff
    Nov 20, 2003
    Australia
    Melbourne, Australia
    the movable.sed and the DSiWare game etc are linked to your console only and will not work on another console,

they will need to purchase a DSiWare game themselves and have their movable.sed cracked also

zacchi4k likes this.
  8. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    That worked because, even though you moved from an SD to another, you still used it on the same console. You can't use a 3DS' SD card on a different one tho

Last edited by zacchi4k, Aug 19, 2018
  9. Tee_
    OP

Tee_ Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    That’s a shame. She doesn’t really know how to install stuff like that. I guess I could make my own guide for her that’s easy for her to understand, I did it myself but I already had a pretty good understanding of what exactly I was doing in the first place.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That’s exactly what I though may be the barrier. I guess I’ll just have to try and walk her through it. Thanks.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thought so, that’s exactly why I asked the question since the process obviously requires you to have console exclusive files and install to the system etc. Thanks

zacchi4k likes this.
  10. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Well the guide is written well enough if they don't understand, then you can set it up for them, just that they have to bring you the 3DS. I have done it for a friend back in the A9LH days.

zacchi4k likes this.
  11. Tee_
    OP

Tee_ Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    She understands what it all does, The end product. But I don’t feel she’ll understand the process of actually setting it up. She seems to think her father will be able to do it since he’s made a career of unlocking phones and devices etc. I guess I could pass on the guide I used and see if they succeed. If not then I suppose she could consider sending me her console. I completely understand why she wouldn’t want to though, you know postal service and all.

Hayato213 likes this.
  12. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    The guide is written to be as easy to understand as possible and uses really simple terms, I'm sure your friend will be able to understand :)
    Plus, even if she gets stuck somewhere, she can always askyou for help, right?

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. Tee_
    OP

Tee_ Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Absolutely. I think I’m going to ask her to have a read and get as far as she can, after that she can reach out. Just thought I’d ask to see if there was a simpler way for her. But it’s all trial and error. Thanks everyone

14. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    She could also use NTRBootHax, as it's simpler to do and understand than Seedminer in my opinion. That's if she's willing to pay a bit more, but there's also the benefit of playing DS games.

As zacchi4k said, The Guide is on a basic language that she should be able do understand, or at least get a concept of, and she could ask you for help, or even us here in the Temp.

zacchi4k likes this.
  15. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    The one listed on the guide are always all the known methods (besides, if a simpler one were to emerge, the guide would get immediately updated with instructions for that)

16. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    As long they follow every step correctly it should be fine. A lot more scarier if it was setting up A9LH compared to B9S.

Quantumcat, zacchi4k and NFates like this.
  17. NFates

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    I remember walking someone through installing A9LH on a New 3DS. Not the best time of my life, and that was on early 2017, when it wasn't as hard.

Hayato213 likes this.
  18. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    On O3DS downgrading was still scary as fuck tho

NFates likes this.
  19. NFates

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Haha, my console freezed after a downgrade and I was scared. It was just because it couldn't read the HOME menu data of higher firmware versions, lol.

I said New 3DS because I feared a MCU brick for my friend.

20. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Still don't understand if putting a N3DS on 2.1 on sleep mode causes an MCU brick or not, and if it's recoverable with ntrboot