Hardware Using NTFS on SD card?

grey72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AFAIK NTFS writes more data than exFAT/FAT32. How bad is it for long-term use? Thinking of picking one up to stick in my laptop permanently and I'd rather not use exFAT.

Solution
How old is your laptop? Are there any expansion slots available?

Of course you could upgrade the internal storage, that should be the best thing to do performance-wise. But im not sure if thats really needed in your case.
Some laptops allow quite easy access to your hdd, you should check out the back of the device. Otherwise its some more unscrewing and stuff.
Its even possible to "clone" your existing system, keeping all the data, while expanding the size of your main drive along the way. That would require another computer and some software tho.

- "Was planning to use it primarily as a media dump with minimal writes done. Still a bad idea?"

Well, theres better alternatives. You were initially talking about a simple sd-card, so i...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As noted, I wouldn't go buying a micro SD card for permanent storage in a laptop, especially if you plan on writing to/from it a lot.

You may be better off just buying a bigger internal storage, or if you can't upgrade for whatever reason get an external HDD/external M.2 SSD if you need something small.

grey72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Was planning to use it primarily as a media dump with minimal writes done. Still a bad idea?
I'd get an external but the laptop gets used outdoors a fair bit so an external drive sticking out of it is kind of a pain.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have few options, you can upgrade the internal hard drive to a larger size, if there is optical drive for the laptop you can see if there optical to SATA for your laptop. Getting an larger internal drive is probably most optimal for you.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing to check for is if the computer has a second internal drive bay.

My laptop has room for a second m.2 and a 2.5".

Another option may be to get both an SD card and a USB drive, with the USB drive being to backup the SD card and internal drive.

Also check the file sizes, if you're not going over 4GB you could use FAT32.

LostRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How old is your laptop? Are there any expansion slots available?

Of course you could upgrade the internal storage, that should be the best thing to do performance-wise. But im not sure if thats really needed in your case.
Some laptops allow quite easy access to your hdd, you should check out the back of the device. Otherwise its some more unscrewing and stuff.
Its even possible to "clone" your existing system, keeping all the data, while expanding the size of your main drive along the way. That would require another computer and some software tho.

- "Was planning to use it primarily as a media dump with minimal writes done. Still a bad idea?"

Well, theres better alternatives. You were initially talking about a simple sd-card, so i guess you dont really need that much extra storage anyway, right?

I can understand that you dont want to have an external hdd plugged in all the time. But how about a mixed solution?

As it's generally a good idea to have a backup of your data, you could simply get yourself a good usb stick (a "nano" version maybe?) , these arent that pricy anymore and you can get quite a lot of extra space without spending much money. In addition, and generally, i would recommend making a backup somewhere else from time to time.
For that use, you could plug in an external drive from time to time and copy everything over, depending on how important that data is.

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins