usbloaderGx and ios58

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Tritri, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Tritri
    OP

Tritri Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2018
    France
    Hello everyone,

I try to give life back to my old wii 4.1e and its 3.5' backups HDD
    Everything worked perfectly few years ago, but unfortunatly I lost the power alimentation of the HDD external case, so I bought a new external case, and since, I can't launch my backups anymore

Every loaders I tested (usbloadergx, wiiflow, neogamma, configurable usb loader, wiiflowlite) can't detect the HDD

The only workaround I found (based on a Cyan's advice) is to change the IOS loader of usbloadergx to IOS58
    It works fine:the loading interface quicly detect the hdd, it writes "patching IOS58" and then I can access to the User Interface with all my backups list
    Unfortunatly I can't launch any of them: I always have a freeze black screen, even if I modify the game IOS to 250 (base 57) or 251 (base 58)

NB: If I make a test with a little flash usb key, evertything works fine without changing anything to usbloadergx configuration

do you have any suggestions?

here is my pmr systemcheck:
    syscheck

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Tritri, Aug 25, 2018
  2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Please use this, not BrickMyWii.

3. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    actually I find this "BrickMyWii" report provides more info than the regular syscheck logs (such as common loaders versions - a feature i have requested before @JoostinOnline, should save quit a bit of guess work when ppl always assume they have the "latest" versions. better yet if it could report the presence of usbloadergx full channel.)

although i always go against using "BrickMyWii" for anything else than simple reporting...

Cyan likes this.
  4. Tritri
    OP

Tritri Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2018
    France
    Thanks for your answers,

here is the real syscheck:

SYS

Since my last post, I downgraded IOS250(57) to v8, but it's not better

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    what's important for USB loading are these lines : 249 (default USB Loader slot), 250 (best), 251 (rarely used)

So, here you have this with syscheck
    IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, Acces NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS250[57] (rev 22008, Info: d2x-v8): Trucha Bug, Acces NAND, USB 2.0
    IOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, Acces NAND, USB 2.0

and with pimpmywii
    IOS 249 (source 56) (d2x 56 v10 beta52)v21010 Modified Trucha Downgrade ES_Identify Nand access
    IOS 250 (source 57) (d2x 57 v10 beta52)v65535 Modified Trucha Downgrade ES_Identify Nand access
    IOS 251 (source 58) (d2x 58 v10 beta52)v21010 Modified Trucha Downgrade ES_Identify

I can see a problem with your slot 250 !
    both are reported different things, which is normal if you downgraded it before running syscheck.
    PimpMyWii says it's "d2x r52, base57, version 65535"
    syscheck says it's "d2x v8, base57, version 22008"

but syscheck gives a version which does not exist! 22008
    it should be "21008", I don't know how you could get version "22", it's not in the d2x installer's list. did you use pimpmywii or another tool or a wad to downgrade?

You said your flash drive is working, which is very exceptional ! flash usually don't work.
    so, if your new enclosure is not working, it means it's worse than flash. I suggest just buying a new hdd, or new enclosure, this one is not compatible.
    on last resort, you could try to use slot 222/223/224 (another cIOS batch from another developer), but pimpmywii installed latest version ..... another reason we don't like this program. Usually people are installing v4.1 37+38 in a single slot

another difference :
    pimp : IOS 70 v6912 (source rev 6687) Modified
    sysch: IOS70 (rev 6912, Info: rev 6687): Pas de patches
    so, modified or not ?
    it's currently not used. it will be if you install system menu 4.2, but I doubt you'll do that. keep 4.1 or go to 4.3.
    but 4.3 uses slot80 which is not patched, so you can't launch wad channels installed on your official SD menu. that's all it's used for.

IOS 254 v65281 Modified stub
    Aren't Nintendo stub version 65280?

00010001-af1bf516 Homebrew Channel (Downloaded channels) v0 (Use IOS 61) Modified
    Chaine Channel 1.1.2 utilise IOS58
    You said you downgraded IOS250, you didn't said you edited other things on your console ! why are HBC using different version and IOS?

you clearly have something wrong somewhere as reports are a little different.
    though, I agree pimp provides more information (even your private console keys !)

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 26, 2018
  6. FancyNintendoGamer567

FancyNintendoGamer567 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    One tip, @Tritri. Do not modify non-cIOS IOSes. Only modify them if you know that it's safe to do, one big mistake and your Wii could be badly bricked.

7. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yeah, especially as it seems he doesn't have Priiloader installed. (he has the installer on the SD, but didn't install it on the console)
    without priiloader, if your system menu can't boot there's not a lot you can do to fix it. hardware chipset flashing, maybe, thanks to your keys posted in pimp log.

As an advice, always ask (and wait for answer) before editing your system files or using a tool. We will tell you if it's safe.

8. Tritri
    OP

Tritri Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2018
    France
    You're totaly right:
    - I put a random revision number when I downgrade IOS250(57) to d2x V8, I thougth the only important thing was to be greater than the last revision, an pimpmywii let me wrote that crap...
    - I effectivly upgrade the HBC in order to use IOS58 between my first "pimp"check and my second syscheck (sorry for the forgeting)

I don't know why my IOS254 and IOS70 are not as expected, probably a pimp secret feature ;-) , Do you you think that's important to correct?

I tried to launch game with 222/223/224: still freeze black screen
    I will try with an other enclosure on the next days, (I think the hdd is compatible, it used to).

What I don't understand is why usbloadergx manage to read my hdd when I force it to load on IOS58, and it doesn't read anything if I choose cIOS251(58)... are they not nearly the same ?

I didn't install priiloader because everything worked fine one first shot few years ago, I prefered to not modify anything, but now I will install it

Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited by Tritri, Aug 26, 2018
  9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the hdd is in fact not the important part for compatibility, it's the small chipset which convert USB port to (S)ATA port which is important, so the enclosure itself.
    the "usb specification" must communicate using the language known by the console's current IOS. Most flash drive only know (or has identical) read commands but not write commands, some devices don't have any matching commands. I think that's your problem here.

cIOS is using an open source USB module, which does not understand/communicate with all existing commands. (old ones, but new drives seems to have new commands, and cIOS are not updated anymore to update the USB driver in it)
    IOS58 is the official IOS from nintendo, it has their own USB driver codded into it, which likely has and understand more USB commands.
    to fix this issue, it would require a developer to update the cIOS, but nobody is working on it anymore.

I'd suggest not to use pimpMyWii, and to fix your setup by using Modmii.
    it will get proper version of all IOS and cIOS, and generate a guide to install these wads and priiloader too.

If you ever update your system, you'll lose priiloader. If you plan to update, follow modmii first. if you plan to keep 4.1, you can install priiloader now, be sure you have hacks for 4.1
    there's no real difference from 4.1 or 4.3, you can keep 4.1, just remember that updating would have two issues :
    1- priiloader will be deleted
    2- your IOS used by the other system menu MUST be installed first. it seems to be fine, but your IOS80 is unpatched, unlike your IOS60, which will prevent you from using wad on SD menu.

Following modmii will prevent this issue by patching IOS70 and installing it in all possible system menu's slots, preventing brick and losing patches.

10. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I don't remember that, but I assume the reason I didn't add it is because the newest version often isn't the best (at least not for homebrew), and pretending otherwise just pushes people to take unnecessary risks.

BrickMyWii got its name because it pushed people into updating things they shouldn't.

11. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    IIRC, I PMed you and you replied that you are not interested which is OK to me and I respect that - its your hobby after all.
    yes, latest != best. We just can be sure that it is not too old for troubleshooting (like asking why there is no Nintnendont settings in "latest" ULGX which is in fact was using version 3.0c). Again, it is up to you.