USBExtreme vs. Memor32 hack

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by rad140, May 16, 2011.

May 16, 2011

USBExtreme vs. Memor32 hack by rad140 at 12:09 AM (1,552 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. rad140
    OP

Member rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Canada
    I'm planning on modding my PS2 to play backups off an external hardrive.

I was wondering which is better in terms of compatibility, features, etc.

Price isn't that big of a deal, as they're both about the same price.

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I thought Memor32 is just the expensive commercial version of Free McBoot + ESR? Just with lower compatibility. (ESR is a program that allows you to boot patched game discs)

If you really want usb loading on your ps2, i'd say Free McBoot + Open PS2 Loader is the way to go. If you would insist on USBExtreme or USBAdvance, i think you could boot that from Free McBoot too if you want. But both are outdated and Open PS2 Loader should be better in every way.

3. rocketen

Newcomer rocketen Member

Ireland
    Freemcboot is the way to be honest. It lets you load up many different ps2 homebrew programs. I use it with ESR and it works great.

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    There are certain online forums (such as PSX-SCENE) where several members offer a free service where you send in a memory card with shipping and they send it back wiped with free mcboot on it. That's probably your cheapest starting solution.

I have always been curious about which gameshark or whatever is the cheapest way to do it oneself.

5. rad140
    OP

Canada
    So as I understand it, you can basically do the same things with Free McBoot + Open PS2 Loader?
    I already have ESR, so there's no concern about that.

Could someone post a link where I can find more info about FreeMcBoot/Open PS2 Loader?
    Thanks.

6. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Freeboot + Open PS2 Loader is basically just installing homebrew on your PS2 memory card. You need another hacked PS2 to do it however, since the memory cards are a proprietary format (unlike the DS/Wii SD cards, PSP memory sticks etc.).

7. WiiPower

Germany
    What do you mean, you have ESR?

psx-scene.com is the best source for Free McBoot and Open PS2 Loader, because both were born there.

8. rad140
    OP

Canada
    ESR is a program for patching backups that creates almost 100% compatibility. I'll check out that site, thanks for the tip.

9. WiiPower

Germany
    Ah, no. The ESR patcher is what you mean, ESR is the ps2 homebrew that boots these discs. I think it was also born on psx-scene.com