NULL

usb thumb drive and wiiu

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by StphanePare, Mar 28, 2017.

1. StphanePare
    OP

StphanePare Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2017
    Canada
    Hi, before hacking my wiiu, i'm wondering if I can use this 64GB thumb drive I have laying around instead of an actual HD to store games on. I'm not interested in vwii stuff at all

2. Chrscool8

Chrscool8 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2008
    United States
    I've been doing so successfully since the beginnings of both the Wii and Wii U hacking days. It's worked just fine for me! It's technically probably less reliable, but back it up every once in a while and use a good quality stick, and you should be fine.

3. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Yup, you can.

It's formatted to a Wii U format, though, so you can't use it for anything else but Wii U.

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Been using a USB stick since 2012. Go freely.

CreeperMario likes this.
  5. Koxen

Koxen Newbie

Newcomer
    May 21, 2019
    Mexico
    does it works? or it has let you down? I'm curious because I'm still somewhat scared of using usb sticks because they are supposedly "not recommended".

6. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 13, 2019
    United States
    I had two fail on me after a period of time (8 months to a year) so I finally invested in an external hard drive. I want the games on it to last forever not a year.

Unless you keep your saves backed up with SaveMii you also lose all your saves if the hdd fails because the Wii U keeps the saves on the hard drive or whereever the game is installed.

Last edited by EmulateLife, May 21, 2019
  7. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    I would not risk killing a usb flash drive myself . I read on so many forums that they die ..