USB not being recognized except in homebrew channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MrBananaMan, Jul 17, 2016.

1. MrBananaMan
    OP

MrBananaMan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    United States
    California
    Ok so my USB flash drive was working fine with my Wii, until i opened YAWMM to install a .wad (usb loader gx forwarder). I noticed that YAWMM wasn't recognizing my usb drive, but i thought that was just a problem with that program. However, now USB loader doesn't recognize my USB either, and it stays on initailizing usb until it finally goes into the program but not recognizing anything on the usb. However, all of the homebrew applications on my usb drive are appearing in the homebrew channel and I can open them, but none of the programs on the usb can recognize the usb. Anyone know what to do?

2. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I had a similar problem with this. Either you have bad CIOS's, or the Wii is not recognizing your USB Device.

When I started using my USB Device with USB Loader GX it had gotten confused, and was not being read, then when I got that fixed memory was displayed incorrectly based on how much memory is not on the device.

Have you tried going into USB Loader GX, tried unplugging, and plugging it into the "initializing" USB Device. If that doesn't work than it's likely the Wii works fine, but the USB Device is not being read due to a hardware incompatibility with the USB Device, or the device is reading it but cannot read it properly (The Wii knows it's in there. But the Wii cannot read it due to a IOS issue.) If that's the case than your CIOS's are outdated, or are older versions of the CIOS's.

Also if you can acsess the USB Loader GX with the USB Device and it gives an error "The device is full", memory full, etc even though it's not. Just wait a few hours (Minimum 6 - 8.) For it to properly load the files on the Hard Drive, and recognize it.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by petethepug, Jul 17, 2016
  3. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Can you post a SysCheck report? (Use the one in that link and post the .csv file contents in spoiler tags.)

Also, most homebrew including the HBC requires the partition be FAT32.

4. MrBananaMan
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    United States
    California
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

My drive is formatted to FAT32 already

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    The report looks ok.

So you can launch apps from the drive but afterwards they apps don't recognize the drive? Try telling YAWMM to use IOS249 or 250 and see if it can see the drive after that.

6. MrBananaMan
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    United States
    California
    For some reason the usb works every time using nintendont and i can run backups, but it only works on usb loader gx if i open the program first, quit, then open it again. Both are installed to my sd

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

7. Clutz450

Clutz450 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2013
    United States
    Is it a USB Flash drive or USB Hard Drive? I have an issue with my USB drive where if it's plugged in when the Wii is turned on it doesn't get recognized for some reason. But if I plug it in after it gets turned on it works. My work around for this was to put my apps folder on mu USB drive and to try launching USB Loader GX from the forwarder channel. The first time I try to load it, it doesn't recognize my USB drive so it can't find the app so it goes back to the system menu. But the second time I click on the forwarder it works. Not sure why it works but it does. You can try that and see if our issues are similar.