rolleyes.gif

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
theclaw said:
You do know this could allow storing over 250GB+ of roms, video, photos, emulators, homebrew, etc. Rather than the Wii's microscopic (in comparion) internal memory or its 2GB limit for SD cards... Right?
happy.gif

Duh!, we do all know that.

dweirdo

Trophies
XP
Country
ok i got the compiled version .elf and its useless right? it only shows something and it doesn't rly make ur wii support usb mass storage device

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
am i right in saying that when you guys are talking about usb 2 and disk reading speeds that you're trying to determine whether or not the HDD loader will be fast enough through a USB to run backup wii games?

also, using a HDD would mean that an entire app like MFE, or emulators like genplus would need to be re-routed to the USB rather than the front SD yeah? how long would it actually take to do something like that?

and... would it actually be possible to use a HDD as an external hard drive for the wii? because i'm thinking that to get the wii to have access to the saves you'd need a homebrew program (or a custom firmware perhaps?) to be used in order to read them... in that case you'd need a hombrew program that launches a wii game, AND the HDD and also allows you to copy, move and mess around with channels and game saves.

Kind of like an entirely new Wii menu stored on a different hard-drive.

one more thing. the current wii menu only (only lol) gives space for around 40 (maybe a few more) VC games. so storing as many as you can might be a problem unless you plan on installing and uninstalling wads constantly depending on the mood of game you want to play lol i guess that 40 is enough to keep you satisfied though lol

Sir Spanky

Trophies
XP
Country
betawind said:
Let me pose this question to all the VC happy kids out there. What would you rather have, 10 games on your Wii or a couple hundred that you play with an emulator?
I agree with you, but only if said emulator work perfectly. At the current state I'd much rather find the games I want on VC (e.g snes games) and run them there. When we are presented with a nice-looking, perfect (non-manual) SRAM saving emulator, I'll happily move to that.

oligore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
mikeyt1998 said:
one more thing. the current wii menu only (only lol) gives space for around 40 (maybe a few more) VC games. so storing as many as you can might be a problem unless you plan on installing and uninstalling wads constantly depending on the mood of game you want to play lol i guess that 40 is enough to keep you satisfied though lol

You could have some kind of quick swapping home-brew list so you could select the homebrew channels you want (instead at a time like you have to with the current loader) for that session install them then have the program automatically uninstall the channel after.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Damnit i thought somebody posting in this thread could mean that somebody found a solution for the broken usb code in libogc.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Miles said:
Mooshywooshy said:
Im not sure I understand... will it read the usb device as SYSTEM memory? Or just another SD card.. in which case it wouldnt be that important o. O
How is it not important.
I see a number of ways in how this is an important step forward.
1) USB now usable by homebrew. It's just a matter of working with the new code until we can start supporting more than just USB drives. Think about using the 360 controller for emulators on the Wii or something.

2) For pirates this may lead to a USB HDD loader for games, much like USB Extreme on the PS2, but IIRC playing games off a USB hard drive is glitchy and buggy due to USB being slower.

3) This may also lead to a way for you to directly connect your PC to your Wii, which would be great for developers.
screw backup usb loader, more internal memory FTW, i cant do anything with only 70 blocks left i want to buy an n64 game from wiishop but i cant.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Would it be possible to repalce the NAND with a bigger size? 512MB is pretty small and you probably only need to just get a NAND dump and the place that dump on the new one. However it may be some weird format or signed or something.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Golfman560 said:
Would it be possible to repalce the NAND with a bigger size? 512MB is pretty small and you probably only need to just get a NAND dump and the place that dump on the new one. However it may be some weird format or signed or something.
i think twiizers already said that wouldnt matter as the wii is(hardcoded? whatever) to only read upto 512mb flash so it would never see past that

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I looked it up and found that. It pretty much suchs, hopefully Nintendo will make a solution with a new update since that 512MB can easily get filled by VC/WiiWare and you should have to delete that stuff to make space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all