cyrex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I came up with the idea of creating a lightweight version of the usbloader gx since it gets more and more crowded and buggy theses days. For my system the last working revision is 921.

In my opinion the goal of a usbloader is ..... to load f***** games.
I want:
- A new and clearly structured GUI (clean up that button hell)
- basic game loading (settings stay because it's good to have the possibility keep settings for every single game)
- 2 Views: List and 3D covers (wiiflow like)
- option to install and delete games
- fuck themes
- fuck custom paths
- fuck custom music
- fuck wad manager
- fuck homebrew launcher
- coverdownload should stay
- wiitdb can stay
- rating system can stay but not necessary
- fuck parental lock
- fuck ntfs/fat support (wbfs is good and stable enuff)
- back to the loader should stay after quitting a game
- sort games by alphabet/rating
- search games
last but most important:
- no user suggestions because these took GX to where it is now... an overloaded usbloader that tends to crash. I really like the project (since i'm one of the project owners) but working on it is a friggin pain in the a**. You change one line of code and it crashes.

... that's all i need
It might take a while since i'm better at java than at c++ but i think i might give it a shot.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question, have you tried Configurable? It sounds to be exactly what you want. We'd be happy to bring you onto the team if you want any features that we don't have, but it seems we do have every feature you asked for and the extra stuff we have all works.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like someone else said wiiflow has what your looking for its just sad that its not heavily supported anymore other then r-win working on it when he gets spare time which( no offense to r-win) doesn't seem to be very often at all anymore.

Right now i'm switching over to configurable because im now using fat32 and wiiflow has issues with fat32 support right now but wiiflow will always be the first loader i use followed by configurable and
gx.Once wiiflow bugs get fixed i will be switching back for sure.

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
Wiiflow look + GX loading == win...
I'm a wiiflow user but have been trough Ultimate USB Loader and GX Before.
Changed because GX became a "frying pan" off all non-sense requests....still doesnt make coffee...but its close.

Changed to wiiflow...cause its simple, beautifull and loads games. It's all i want in a usb loader.
Would love to see your work based in this.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pakatus said:
Changed to wiiflow...cause its simple, beautifull and loads games. It's all i want in a usb loader.
Would love to see your work based in this.

Would love to see this as well.Wiiflow will all major bugs fixed would be excellent.

D

Deleted User

I'm totally with you. One of the reasons I'm using CFG loader instead is that GX is so unstable. About ff'ing FAT32 support, don't do that. I modded a couple of the newest wii's and I can't get WBFS partitions to work. The only way to get USB loading working on those newer wii's is using FAT32 with CFG loader. So please, to prevent n00bs from crying:It doesn't work
frown.gif
keep FAT32 support.

cyrex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dr. Clipper said:
Quick question, have you tried Configurable? It sounds to be exactly what you want. We'd be happy to bring you onto the team if you want any features that we don't have, but it seems we do have every feature you asked for and the extra stuff we have all works.
I don't want to use configurable because i'm one of the project owners of GX so i want to stick with GX
smile.gif
. I liked the project from the beginning

icpmattj said:
Like someone else said wiiflow has what your looking for its just sad that its not heavily supported anymore other then r-win working on it when he gets spare time which( no offense to r-win) doesn't seem to be very often at all anymore.

Right now i'm switching over to configurable because im now using fat32 and wiiflow has issues with fat32 support right now but wiiflow will always be the first loader i use followed by configurable and
gx.Once wiiflow bugs get fixed i will be switching back for sure.
r-win is working on both projects and i guess he would tip in if i start
tongue.gif

QUOTE(FragAguy @ May 16 2010, 12:33 AM)
I'm totally with you. One of the reasons I'm using CFG loader instead is that GX is so unstable. About ff'ing FAT32 support, don't do that. I modded a couple of the newest wii's and I can't get WBFS partitions to work. The only way to get USB loading working on those newer wii's is using FAT32 with CFG loader. So please, to prevent n00bs from crying:It doesn't work
frown.gif
keep FAT32 support.
Sorry mate, no user requests
tongue.gif

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Whats the plan then Cyrex, strip the source of GX down to the skeleton, then rebuild it with only the essential features?

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
im one for a lite ver of GX, no need for homebrew launcher and all that added crap but maybe keep the customs paths and maybe themes, and i agree with just WBFS but im not against FAT32 support, if you cant setup your HDD with 2 simple partitions well........... plus WBFS is very stable in my opinion, if your HDD corrupts you must be doin summit wrong or have a cheap ass HDD

EDIT TO POLL

Why not keep the current SVN and start a new Lite GX SVN so ppl can still jump between Lite and current GX because the Poll Q just sounds like your going to strip the current GX to the lite GX and not open a new SVN

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Everything was said, in my opinion. GX died for me a loooong time ago, and I doubt that cutting some things out will make it stable again. Dead is dead. And even if it would, it would be a lot of work. Cutting, bug fixing, and it's sounding that you would have to ditch Libwiigui for the new GUI, so a complete rewrite of the GUI would also required. Lots of work...and basicly, your whole project sounds like you want to make Wiiflow, but honestly I doubt that GX Lite would be nearly as good as WiiFlow. Don't reinvent the wheel, try to fix the bugs in WiiFlow, this would be more helpful overall, I guess.

But, that's just my opinion. Maybe doing this project is a good way to learn about C++, so, if it makes you happy, why not? Do what you want, and if your happy with it, release it.

cyrex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
toejam316 said:
Whats the plan then Cyrex, strip the source of GX down to the skeleton, then rebuild it with only the essential features?
That's what i wanna do. If it works out well... no idea but at least i'll give it a try.

pepxl said:
im one for a lite ver of GX, no need for homebrew launcher and all that added crap but maybe keep the customs paths and maybe themes, and i agree with just WBFS but im not against FAT32 support, if you cant setup your HDD with 2 simple partitions well........... plus WBFS is very stable in my opinion, if your HDD corrupts you must be doin summit wrong or have a cheap ass HDD

EDIT TO POLL

Why not keep the current SVN and start a new Lite GX SVN so ppl can still jump between Lite and current GX because the Poll Q just sounds like your going to strip the current GX to the lite GX and not open a new SVN

Ofc i will do it as a branch of GX... i won't touch the existing one.

QUOTE(Blue-K @ May 16 2010, 05:38 PM)
Everything was said, in my opinion. GX died for me a loooong time ago, and I doubt that cutting some things out will make it stable again. Dead is dead. And even if it would, it would be a lot of work. Cutting, bug fixing, and it's sounding that you would have to ditch Libwiigui for the new GUI, so a complete rewrite of the GUI would also required. Lots of work...and basicly, your whole project sounds like you want to make Wiiflow, but honestly I doubt that GX Lite would be nearly as good as WiiFlow. Don't reinvent the wheel, try to fix the bugs in WiiFlow, this would be more helpful overall, I guess.

But, that's just my opinion. Maybe doing this project is a good way to learn about C++, so, if it makes you happy, why not? Do what you want, and if your happy with it, release it.
That's what i'll do. WiiFlow isn't my project so i won't jump into a new project. I can only learn from that and actually i do it for my own purpose
smile.gif
. Btw ... there are plenty of GX users out there so some people will like it. I don't care if you are one of them or not ... one more or less
tongue.gif
pfff i don't care.

kiwisoup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's fine the way it is. If you want those features, go use another loader. I do agree that the whole "delete your configuration and settings files" answer to every issue is totally unacceptable, but other than that it's my preferred loader. I don't think it's bloated and needs to be "light".
PS, stop with the fucking swearing, Jesus Christ!

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
kiwisoup said:
I think it's fine the way it is. If you want those features, go use another loader. I do agree that the whole "delete your configuration and settings files" answer to every issue is totally unacceptable, but other than that it's my preferred loader. I don't think it's bloated and needs to be "light".
PS, stop with the fucking swearing, Jesus Christ!
Wow, great idea to bump an 8 months old thread. How the hell did you find it anyways?

I don't think that this will happen after such a long time, so bumping this is pretty useless. Also, GX v2.0 is a lot more stable, so one main argument is gone.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cyrex said:
- fuck ntfs/fat support (wbfs is good and stable enuff)
You had me until that bit on drive formats. IMHO, a USB Loader should be simple AND easy to use. WBFS as a proprietary format is not user friendly. WBFS had its benefits, but now with the ability to use WBFS files, it has lost all its advantages. NTFS and FAT32 are native to Win PCs and are Apple friendly as well. These formats are understood by more people than WBFS and are accessible by more utilities, including backup and repair apps. There are plenty of threads created due to the complexity that WBFS format introduces, and with ever growing game libraries and drive sizes problems with the format will only increase.

In short, continuing support for WBFS in light of easy access to NTFS or FAT32 would be a huge point of failure.

-[]D

EDIT: Didn't notice the date of this thread, oops. My opinion still stands though
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs