USB loader keeps freezing during dump process

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kekkon, Apr 17, 2009.

Apr 17, 2009
  1. Kekkon
    OP

Member Kekkon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got myself a new little 8gb flash drive, one that's actually detected by USB loader, and I can't dump anything.
    It'll start fine but once it gets a little ways it just abruptly stops, no error, just stops, the percentage nor the time left changes.
    Now unless by some God awful chance my thumb drive has a limit on how long it can be accessed at once then I don't see what the problem could be.
    The timing before the freeze is inconsistent, once it got up to 27% once 14% and once 18%, I'm just so pissed right now I'm thinking of giving up on it for good.

Someone please just help me get this working properly, I'm using the latest 1.5 usb loader because 1.4 was dumping EXTREMELY slowly so maybe the slowness was an indication on access speed?

gaaahhh!

2. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    try 1.1 for dumping. it was faster than all newer versions. Then use 1.5 to play/delete stuff if needed.

3. Kekkon
    OP

United States
    But wouldn't it have less stability?
    And besides I don't think it can be faster than 5 minutes for Zelda >_>

4. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Stability wise its fine. games install just fine from it. The only updates wanikoko made was fixing the deletion bug (Just don't use 1.1 to delete), compatibility with playing some games, cover display, and other MINOR updates. If you install with 1.1, it will play fine on newer ones, as long as the game is compatible.

Instead of debating this, just go try it, whats the harm? it either works for you or doesn't, not like it can do permanent damage.

5. dun4cheap

Member dun4cheap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The ultimate loader v. 1.1 does not have the remove game bug, it has been fixed. So you could use that. The last release v 7.2 or something works great. I have not tried v1.5 yet.

6. Kekkon
    OP

United States
    No good, froze at 16% D:
    I have a feeling it's the usb drive... damn it

7. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  8. Kekkon
    OP

United States
  9. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Try taking your wiimote out of the room when you start dumping.

10. djda

Member djda GBAtemp Regular

Barbados
    My one always freezes the first time i attempt to dump a game however (im using V1.1 with an 8GB Kingston DataTraveler) the second time it works and i have found it helps it significantly if the usb drive is not all clustered up behind the wii if it starts to get mildly hot it slows down or stops working.
    I flip my wii around when dumping the games little simple things like that couild get it working

*edit*
    It could easily be the flash drive i have never heard of duracell making these so it could very well be that
    hope you get it working

11. rooskie54

Member rooskie54 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You don't have your internet set to wired by any chance do you? I had the same problem, but it went away when I switched from wired to wireless (or even off, just not wired.)

12. xem1x

Member xem1x GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It is the USB Drive, i have a Kingston Datatraveler 4GB flash drive that does the same thing. Even on Windows WBFS GUI's it would crash. [​IMG]

13. Shinigami Kiba

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    I could never dump games from my discs with USB Loader, tried it with 1.1 back when i first installed USB Loader and out of all the games I tried only Deadly Creatures copied over and that took ages to install.

I didn't read your entire post, but I STRONGLY suggest you only install games from your PC to the WBFS formatted flash or hard drives.
    Also 8GB isn't enough, 16 sorta is and 32 would be perfect, but 8 aint [​IMG]

14. djda

Barbados
    Anything larger than 4.7 GB is good enough as long as it can hold the largest of games i suppose a larger one would be ideal but the best part of the usb loader is the speed of loading screens and cinematics of backup games

15. Kekkon
    OP

United States
    I exchanges the crappy duracell flash drive for an 8gb SDHC card, same price, works great.
    I do have a small glitch where version 1.5 doesn't detect the card's wbfs partition, so I'm just using version 1.4 in the mean time until whatever the next release is, seems to be working fine.

16. djda

Barbados
    Glad to hear its working for you

17. kylsav

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I also had the same issue but mine was a Sony 4 Gig Flash drive. freeses randomly on the v1.5 loader on on originals and backups. The problem is probability the flash drive ill have to invest in a External hard drive.