USB Loader GX Weird Issue

JPudz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had great success Soft Modding my own Wii and figured I would do it to my friends as well! I followed the same guide I used on Youtube and installed Homebrew, Dx2 CIOS Installer and did all the preliminary set ups. I have loaded up games on my friends Wii and see all the box arts but no games are launching using USB Loader GX. For his Wii I'm using a 256gb Sandisk USB 3.0 formatted to Fat32 and for my Wii I am currently using a 2TB Western Digital external drive. On his Wii I can launch Gamecube games through Nintendont and they work perfectly fine, however the same games I try to launch off of USB Loader GX just result in black screen requiring a hard reset of the Wii. None of the Wii games work using this USB either. I have copied all the same settings from my Wii and selected them on his but no luck launching Wii or Gamecube games from GX Loader. The weird thing is when I plug in my HDD into his Wii everything works fine. All the Gamecube and Wii games work flawlessly. I even tried a different USB 2.0 stick and put Wii Sports on there and it worked. Any ideas why this USB I'm trying to use is having these issues? I've been troubleshooting for a while and can't seem to find anything. Any ideas are welcome I'm at a loss, thank you.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Simply put, your flash drive is not compatible. You can try formatting it as WBFS (using Wii Backup Manager) instead of FAT32 for improved compatibility, but then it would only be able to store Wii games and no apps or GC games. Or you could partition it as FAT32+WBFS to try and get the best of both worlds.

Another thing you could try to get this thumb drive to work, is to tinker with other cIOSs. D2x v10 beta 52 is generally recommended to be installed using base 56, 57 and 38; but you may have better luck with usb compatibility using base 58 (since this is likely what nintendont is using, assuming you installed the HBC as recommended to use IOS58). You could also try Hermes cIOSs which are generally installed to slots 222-224. One thing to note though is that while a different cIOS may get your thumb drive working, certain bases are required for game compatibility. So if you successfully get base 58 to work with your HDD, you probably won’t be able to play COD3 as this game requires base 57 iirc. Similar situation for guitar hero or rock band games.

ModMii can help you install all the aforementioned cIOSs, just start ModMii Classic and go to download page 4 (or the advanced downloads page if you want to change to IOS slot to 248 or something else unused).

None of these are guaranteed to work, but if you get lucky you may find that formatting as WBFS or using a different cIOS will get your hard drive working. Ultimately though you’d be better served by just getting a different hard drive that works when fully formatted as FAT32. Because even if one of these methods work you have downsides (not being able to save apps or other things to WBFS formatted drives; or not being able to play games requiring a cIOS that doesn’t work with your drive).

Btw, instead of youtube, I suggest you use ModMii in the future. Trust.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: +2