USB Loader GX Problem with USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by UberUndMelissa, Jun 22, 2013.

1. UberUndMelissa
    OP

UberUndMelissa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    I used to boot Wii games just fine using an external hard drive partitioned into an NTFS partition for the Wii games and a FAT32 partition for booting up USB Loader GX. Then that hard drive got corrupted and failed or something so I went with using a FAT32 USB flash drive which housed both my games and the apps folder. Everything was fine and dandy until that flash drive was accidentally formatted using the Wii U, and now, despite formatting it again to FAT32, that flash drive no longer works with USB Loader GX. It would display two partitions under the hard drive settings, one being an outlandish 800 GB or so and the other having 0 GB. On the home screen the appropriate amount of GB would appear but no games that I had on it appeared. How do I go about fixing this problem?
    EDIT: I forgot to say, but my Wii's SD card slot no longer functions, which is problematic. I've also tried using the flash drive on the Wii U's vWii but it still shows multiple partitions, which is odd.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I guess the 0GB partition is second? as you listed the 800GB first.
    can't you delete both partitions and re-create only one FAT32?

if you can't see the games you had, then it means they are deleted. If you formated the drive in WiiU format, it deleted all the drive's content. You can't format it back to FAT32 and get your files back. you have to put them on your drive again.

You said it's not working anymore, but what's not working in USBLoaderGX? Device detection or game listing?
    If the device is not detected at all : Are other loaders working with that flash drive?
    If the device is detected, did you correctly put games in the correct folder?

You said you have two partition, maybe USBLoaderGX is looking in the wrong partition.
    in the loader did you tell which partition to use ? (settings > HDD settings > click on Partition to reset/force partition detection again)

3. UberUndMelissa
    OP

UberUndMelissa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Well the thing is that the flash drive I'm using isn't partitioned at all and only holds 4 GB (according to my PC). On USB Loader GX it shows up as having over 800 GB in one partition and 0 GB in the other. And yes, after reformatting my USB drive to FAT32 I added my games to a WBFS folder. And finally, I tried to boot the games using WiiFlow to no luck. I guess I can just wait until I get an actual HDD to see if it works with an external USB enclosure, because it seems this is a problem with the flash drive and not USB Loader GX or my Wii, considering I can boot up a game using WiiFlow with an SD card on my Wii U. The flash drive doesn't work on my Wii U either.

4. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    sounds like you need to remove some stray partitioning/filesystem info
    in linux/unix there's "wipefs" for that

zeroing out the first and last 10mb of the drive (or all if thats easier) should do the trick too
    I can tell you how to do it in linux/unix but for windows you need google/ask someone else

5. UberUndMelissa
    OP

UberUndMelissa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    Ok, thanks, I have Linux Mint installed on a partition on my computer's hard drive, so I can just do the "wipefs" thing.