USB loader gx not seeing the full drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Dustin37, May 10, 2017.

1. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I am using usb loader GX and trying to setup 1 fat32 and one NTFS partition. I want to leave the fat32 for things like wiiware, and put wii games on the NTFS side. The entire drive is 4 Gb. I have had limited success with this. After a certain point USB loader crashes as if it has too many games. Or is not formatted correctly on the NTFS side. Can someone tell me how to format or what I need to format correct so that the entire drive is seen properly. Shot 2.JPG Shot 1.JPG

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    One MBR FAT32 partition should work fine for everything you might have to set it to at least one byte smaller than 4GB, though.

3. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    Here is the rub I have over 2gbs of Wii games hence the ntfs. Basically try to find a way to NOT waste a 4gb hard drive per se. The problem I have been having is after so many games USB loader GX just crashes out its like the database is too big. I can certainly elaborate more but basically I get a bug crash screen. Tried doing FAT32 and Fat32 crash. For the record it is a GPT disc.......to my knowledge FAT 32 can't go over 2 gigs and FAT32 beside FAT32 crashes every time. I just want this to work to work now for the sake of it I have been banging my head on a wall on this as a side project for months now. The thing is according to everything I have read in the forms this is implied to be not a big deal. I can get the error screen if someone knows what it means.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    FAT32 is 32-bit. That's ‭4,294,967,295‬ bytes maximum since it's unsigned. That's enough for one partition. You just need to set it slightly smaller for it to work properly. (I'm assuming it's a 4 terabyte drive, not gigabytes. :))

5. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I will let you know the results and see if I can't do a step by step just as an FYI I have 2.12 TB of games total for 1268 games. I am just trying to not waste the drive really.

6. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    Well worked / didn't work You are right about the Fat32 a touch smaller. I kept the front fat32 for things like wiiware the back half I was going to throw on my Wii games. However created a wbfs folder on that second half threw on a few games for test when I try to load up it crashes to the bug screen.

7. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    You can fit Wii games on FAT32 as well by using Wiimm's ISO Tools or Wii Backup Manager to convert them to WBFS files. It should split them at the 4GB mark so they fit.

8. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    All the games are wbfs already. Wii backup manager is how I loaded them on the drive. still got the crash. I didn't just make a wbfs folder and throw in sorry about the possible confusion. I know the games are okay I have a 5tb drive on loan that has them on it so I can try different things.

9. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    Anyone know if USB loader gx really does have a game limit?

10. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Not that I can see it the source, although the game list is in memory so at some point I guess it would run out of space.

11. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I would agree but I have a weird rub. I don't know the exact number but everything is good around 480 somewhere around 500 my drive starts giving me DSI errors which I can replicate. I don't think it matters the game. Now here comes the rub I have the drive 1gb fat32 2.66gb NTFS.......4 gigs total (the dumb windows calls a kilobyte thing.) Anyway the odd thing is I have a 5tb drive same basic model with the games on in entire drive NTFS. The games run just fine. So I am wondering why the error is occurring. Anyone have any thoughts

12. Dustin37
    OP

Dustin37 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    How many wii games do other people have. Still getting crash errors troubleshooting. After a certain number I just crash
    Or rather DSI screen of death

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If anybody knows the codes and stuff I can post a screen shot