USB Loader GX game names

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by TyBlood13, Sep 26, 2012.

1. TyBlood13
    OP

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    I need to be able to change the names of some of my games in USB Loader GX, as some of them looked very stupid and annoying. Example, all my Mario Party games come up as Mario Party X, but Mario party 4 shows up as MarioParty4 and is on the list after a few games that are after the other mario parties, or Metroid comes up as METROID_3_CORRUPTION, etc. Please help me change the names to look right.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Is your wii connected to internet?

If yes then go to USBGX settings > Page 3 > Update menu > and choose Update WiiTDB.xml (it will download it from gametdb.com)
    It's a file with all the correct game's names.

If your wii is not connected to internet, go to http://gametdb.com > Game database link.
    download the file wiitdb.zip manually, and extract the file wiitdb.xml in your SD or USB, in the same folder than USB Loader GX.
    SD or USB:/apps/usbloader_gx/wiitdb.xml

Then, to be sure that the data from this file is used by the loader, go to USBGX settings > Page1 > Features > Use Gametdb Titles : Enable it.

DonsSword, Rydian and TyBlood13 like this.
  3. DonsSword

DonsSword Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2014
    United States
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This has been driving me mad, now everything is where it belongs, and the world is rainbows, puppies, and kittens.

Seriously, thanks.

4. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho GBAtemp Fan

Mar 5, 2011
    Venezuela
    wooops, sorry.

Last edited by Duncan Idaho, Dec 27, 2015
  5. peruvianman

peruvianman Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    I have the 2d & FULL images downloaded for all my wii games already downloaded on my SD card under Config>Images>2D & Full folders. Each game title has a name by letters and numbers, ie: R3TE54, RRGE52, etc.
    When I get on USB Loader GX, hover over any of my displayed wii game cases, press 2 (hoping that the back cover artwork would show up as well as the front) but i get a message "Error: Could not open wiitdb.xml".

Is there anything I can do to enable both front and back games covers to show up?
    Cyan and anyone else here, can you please help me?

Last edited by peruvianman, Dec 8, 2016
  6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the error prevents yuo from displaying the 3D game box with the full cover?
    Just download the missing file, like explained in my previous post.

Settings>update>wiitdb
    then you should enable titles from wiitdb (while you have it, why not take advantages of it for your game's title?)
    settings>features>enable wiitdb

once you have the wiitdb.xml, you shouldn't have that error anymore.
    If you do, maybe the path to that file is wrong. you can edit the path and re-download the file in the user path menu.

7. peruvianman

peruvianman Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    United States
    Thank you Cyan! :)

Last edited by peruvianman, Dec 10, 2016
  8. dafyddpryce

dafyddpryce Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    This is great and helped me a lot but.... I have a lot of titles and some of the ones from gametdb are wrong or grammatically inconsistent. If I change them, they stick for a while but then revert to the gametdb ones. Is there anything I can do other than turning off gametdb titles and renaming them all manually?

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can rename the game inside wiitdb.xml
    of cours, you'll have to do it again if you update the file, but there's no new releases so you shouldn't need to update it often, if not at all.

I don't know why the manual game renaming is not memorized correctly. Sometime it just forget it :(
    maybe it's an issue with multithreading? one list loaded before the other one. (cache before wiitdb and you get your own titles, or the other order and it lose info)

dafyddpryce likes this.
  10. dafyddpryce

dafyddpryce Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Thanks! Yeah that's what I did and it worked great. My games now look neat and satisfy my neurotic nature.