Homebrew USB Loader GX freezes when installing game

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Had the same issue. Setting the Loader's IOS to 249 solved it for me.
It should already be 249 by default, but in case it isn't, that is generally the recommended setting.
Hey there!

Got a problem with USB Loader GX on the Nintendo Wii. Everything works fine except installing games ;( It freezes anywhere from 10-80%
I tried different HDDs (Intenso, WD) none of them worked (Using Fat32 with 32kb cluster. I resetted all settings too. I do have the newest d2x IOS too (v10 / r52) btw.

Do you guys have any solution?
Try with Loader IOS set to both IOS249 and IOS58.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Nicklander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have USB Loader GX running on vWii but it always kept freezing randomly during the dumping process.

The weird thing about this tho is that despite the loader being frozen it still dumped the game in the background. I waited several minutes before pulling the power plug (yes the Wii is completely frozen) and when I started up the Wii again and went into the loader the game was there and playable. So I guess the dump was successful despite of the freeze ? Or could the wbfs still be corrupted ? How to check if it’s all fine ?

Anyways, I fixed the issue by changing the loader IOS to 249 and game IOS to 250. Now everything is working as intended. Why is the loader IOS 58 in the first place ? Change that back to 249 !

PonyFlare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For everyone having this issue: The game continues to install itself Just let it keep running for the time remaining indicated (I let it run a bit longer just to be safe) before pulling the plug. When you restart you'll be able to launch the game.

The issue seems to be that USB Loader GX's UI is freezing.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Being able to launch the game doesn't mean it's dumped completely, only that the "start sequence" of the game has been dumped from the disc.
if the game doesn't try to access the missing part, missing files, missing videos, missing audio, then it'll work and will crash only when trying to access these missing data.

You might want to verify your ISO using the Sha-1 option of WiiBackupManager, or Wit/Wwt.

Last edited by Cyan,

PonyFlare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might want to verify your ISO using the Sha-1 option of WiiBackupManager, or Wit/Wwt.

3 for 3 games all checked out fine with WBM.
I maintain my belief that it is only the USB Loader GX UI that is freezing, not the install process.

edit:
I'll add I watched for the drive activity leds flashing on my case after the freeze with my last attempt and they continued just fine and stopped near enough the estimated time remaining.

edit 2:
I'm still wary of doing too many of these though, since I don't like just pulling the plug on my Wii U when the install is complete.

Last edited by PonyFlare,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
3 for 3 games all checked out fine with WBM.
I maintain my belief that it is only the USB Loader GX UI that is freezing, not the install process.

edit:
I'll add I watched for the drive activity leds flashing on my case after the freeze with my last attempt and they continued just fine and stopped near enough the estimated time remaining.

edit 2:
I'm still wary of doing too many of these though, since I don't like just pulling the plug on my Wii U when the install is complete.

Hello.:)

If you use an USB Stick/Thumb Drive/Flash Drive and these Types (and mainly USB 3.0 or newer Ones),then maybe yes.that is to be expected.:(
If you use an HDD then it should work.

Pease try in the USBLoader GX Settings - Loader Settings -> change the Loader´s IOS to 249 (if you do not already tried it)
and try the Install Option.If it works please do not forget to change it back to 58.:)

Also I can confirm,the Install Option works with USB Sticks/Thumb Drives/Pen Drives/Flash Drives with the Configurable USBLoader MOD v70 r78.11.(for me).:)

Thank you.:)

PonyFlare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello.:)

If you use an USB Stick/Thumb Drive/Flash Drive and these Types (and mainly USB 3.0 or newer Ones),then maybe yes.that is to be expected.:(
If you use an HDD then it should work.

Pease try in the USBLoader GX Settings - Loader Settings -> change the Loader´s IOS to 249 (if you do not already tried it)
and try the Install Option.If it works please do not forget to change it back to 58.:)

Also I can confirm,the Install Option works with USB Sticks/Thumb Drives/Pen Drives/Flash Drives with the Configurable USBLoader MOD v70 r78.11.(for me).:)

It is an HDD: 750 GB WD Black 2.5", in a case and plugged in with a Y cable.

Changing Loader's IOS didn't have any noticeable effect. Loader still froze.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It is an HDD: 750 GB WD Black 2.5", in a case and plugged in with a Y cable.

Changing Loader's IOS didn't have any noticeable effect. Loader still froze.

That is not so good,I am sorry.:(

I am sure you have checked your Game Discs of Scratches/Dirt/Fingerprints.

Would you maybe try it with the Configurable USBLoader ? Only to get sure what is the Issue.
https://wiidatabase.de/downloads/usb-und-disk-loader/configurable-usb-loader-mod/
(Plese use DIREKT DOWNLOAD).

Good Luck.

Reactions: jeannotte

PonyFlare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am sure you have checked your Game Discs of Scratches/Dirt/Fingerprints.

For sure, but it is really not expected to be an issue. I'm always good with my discs: Case to console and straight back when it comes out. They don't sit around to have such issues.
And with 4 separate games now, it would be extremely unlikely to be an issue with the games themselves, especially since their installs did actually complete despite Loader being frozen.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
For sure, but it is really not expected to be an issue. I'm always good with my discs: Case to console and straight back when it comes out. They don't sit around to have such issues.
And with 4 separate games now, it would be extremely unlikely to be an issue with the games themselves, especially since their installs did actually complete despite Loader being frozen.

Yes,I agree,I also do not think it has to do with the Games.
Except these:
  • Last Story, The
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Raving Rabbids Collection
  • Sakura Wars, So Long My Love
  • Samurai Warriors 3
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
These are Dual Layer DVDs and maybe causes Issues on the Installation Option.:)

By the Way how is your HDD formatted please ?

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for confirming the game image are good dump :)
and that you noticed the HDD led was still active.

I didn't have lot of reports of freeze when using HDD (other users said using cIOS instead of 58 fixed their problem, but you confirmed it's not a IOS related issue thank you), and you are the first one saying it's still doing its job in the background.
I noticed freezes of the UI when it's downloading, or when you try to exit while it's still doing something. it's probably a thread priority issue. Maybe it's related, could you tell whether you have "network autoinit" enabled or disabled, or if you did a cover download before dumping disc? maybe having the network thread in the background freeze the UI.

I don't dump lot of discs anymore so I might have missed that issue when dumping too.

Dual layered DVD should also dump fine, except maybe SmashBros because of the multi-data partition. but I always had conflicting reports, probably due to user edited setting to dump only the first game partition, instead of "remove update" only.

Last edited by Cyan,

PonyFlare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Network autoinit is off and I did not do any cover downloads at all. Might not. Selecting games from channels is good enough for me. Don't really care to use the cover-based selection, which currently are all the same default blank.

Only one of my games installed so far, Samurai Warriors 3, was dual-layered and it works just as well as the others I installed.

It may have still been doing its job in the background for others - but nobody else got around to seeing that the install would complete anyway and just pulled the plug immediately every time.

Last edited by PonyFlare,
Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe that feature broke recently, because I didn't test dumping a disc in the last releases.
I feel like the loader reached the point where it's missing memory (I removed some menus already, like Theme downloader, to get enough memory for gamecube and neek support, etc.)
thank you for reporting it and giving a temporary workaround/solution :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🚽 [flush] [walks in without washing my hands] Hi guys 👋 :)