USB Loader GX freezes on "Initialize USB Device". Help?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by xxSoullissxx, Jul 6, 2015.

1. xxSoullissxx
    OP

xxSoullissxx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    United States
    SysCheck below.

I'm using this 3.0 USB Flash Drive: http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power...UTF8&qid=1436209524&sr=8-1&keywords=32+gb+3.0

I formatted the drive in FAT 32 with 16KB unit size using Windows 7's default formatting tool.
    I'm using version 3.0 revision 1250 of USB Loader GX.
    For cIOS installation I followed this guide: https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation and picked beta 52 at the end.

On the drive I have a "controllers" folder with a bunch of ".ini" files in the folder. I also have a "games" folder. Inside of the "games" folder there is one folder appropriately labeled and a file inside of that folder appropriately labeled.

SysCheck

Last edited by xxSoullissxx, Jul 6, 2015
  2. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm not quite sure what the problem is with this. I have this problem and I don't know if it's been sorted (I need to update to the latest version or something) and I have only one way to 'fix' it. I have to unplug my HDD and then plug it in before I open USB Loader, then initialising works fine. If I leave it in from booting the console, it won't initialise.

3. xxSoullissxx
    OP

xxSoullissxx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    United States
    Hmm... I'll try that out right now, thanks. Also, I added a SysCheck to the original post.

EDIT:
    I tried turning the Wii on and waiting for the main menu to start up and then putting in the flash drive, then starting the HBC, then USB Loader GX, and it froze on "Initialize USB Device".

I tried waiting until the HBC was started up and putting in the flash drive, then starting USB Loader GX, and it froze on "Initialize USB Device".

I tried waiting until USB Loader GX started up and it said "Waiting for HDD" and then putting in the flash drive, and it froze on whatever number it was left on.

In all of the cases when it froze the Wii could only be powered down by holding in the Power button on the console or unplugging the power source.

Last edited by xxSoullissxx, Jul 6, 2015
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think some USB 3.0 drives have issues. It might just be incompatible.
    There is a compatibility list here http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List
    but your flash drive isn't listed. For what it's worth though, there are 3 Silicon Power external HDDs listed there that are all USB 3.0, and none of them work with USB loaders. So I would guess that it's a problem with the USB controller chips that Silicon Power uses.

5. xxSoullissxx
    OP

xxSoullissxx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2014
    United States
    Dang. That's what I was thinking... oh well, never hurts to have an extra flash drive I guess. Thanks, I'll probably look at that list and see what I want.
    Also, Nintendont works fine with the flash drive (so far).

6. G0R3Z

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    USB loaders are notoriously fussy with all kinds of things to settings, your drive, even the kind of wiimote you use - some third party wiimotes are a bit glitchy in my experience. An external hard drive would make more sense, as you get much more storage.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning