Hacking USB Loader GX, Emunand error running VC/WiiWare, "Error ocurred while..."

agtugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi all,

---Presentation (You can ignore this)-----
This is my first thread I have been reading for a while in this great space for sharing and it is a real honor to be read by you. I am a mechatronic engineer working as a mechanical engineer, linux/windows/BeOS user, love microcontrollers (assembly and PIC/Motorola/ATMELhobby), python programmer (hobby). So, nice to meet you.
After 7 years of not having a console at all, I bought a black Wii RVL-001 and some games. Since I always try to get the most from my hardware I softmodded my wii and that's why I am here. In the Wii world, I am a noob and very happy to be that in this community. Also, my first language is spanish so you can detect some mistakes in my posts. Also if this great community needs a translator for documentation I can contribute specially for USB Loader GX (I really like their job).

----The point-----
After reading several threads I have not found my issue (if you now a similar thread please forgive me), I installed HomeBrew Channel (HBC), priiloader, last version available of USB Loader GX, d2x CIOS v8/v10 base 56 in slot 249 250, I run my backup wii games from an external HardDrive (HD) fat32 of 1tb without any problem. But, when I try to run any VC or WiiWare game I cannot run them from some games I get the following error "Error occurred while accessing Wii System Memory. Refer to the Wii Operations Manual for Details.".

I have tried the following combinations (my design of experiment(DOE) gave me several combinations, I am trying to show them as simple as possible):

-d2x CIOS v8 base 56
-Dump my nand from USB Loader GX
-Install the wads with showmiiwads
-Running from a USB sitck with FAT32 with 32kb cluster or HD FAT32 or SD FAT324
-Run the game in USB Loader GX latest version at this date.

-d2x CIOS v10 base 56
-Install the wads with showmiiwads
-Running from a USB stick with FAT32 with 32kb cluster or HD FAT32 or SD FAT324

-d2x CIOS v8 base 56
-Install the wads using USB Loader GX

-d2x CIOS v10 base 56
-Install the wads using USB Loader GX

For each disk media this give me 12 experiments before going with more experiments I decided to have more background and that's why I am here. Am I missing something? I can put my sysconfig file here as soon as arrive my home. I really like USB Loader GX work thats why I am trying very hard very before moving to neek2o, uLoader or WiiFlow. Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello, and welcome here.

The tests you did seems correct to me.

Did you try to launch the channels which were already installed on your Wii? Right after making the dump, launch a channel from EmuNAND (don't install new one).

The error you have is related to EmuNAND not being correctly emulated.
It could happen with some games only. (some VC and WiiWare games are not working with the current implementation of EmuNAND in USBLoaderGX, especially N64 VC games which are a little harder to setup).
Did you try different games?
I know for sure these games are working : Cave Story, La Mulana. (I completed them, so It's a good one to use to do the tests).

d2x v8 and v10 are both fine.
"latest" USBLoaderGX, for you it's 3.0 r1180 or 3.0 r1233?
if you are still on revision 1180, please update first to 1233 (manually if you are using the Channel version, or use the internal updater menu in the loader if you are launching from the Homebrew Channel)
The internal update menu will update to revision 1231, but that's fine for EmuNAND.

If yo uwant to help translating USBLoaderGX, that would be with pleasure :)
Latest update of the spanish language file is from before 3.0 release. (r1148)

agtugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi Cyan,

Very glad that someone answered, thanks Cyan. The version is r1233 using the internal updater, I'll make a new dump as recommended at night, and also try the Cave Story and La Mulana.
I'll check the documentation that you posted. Again thanks for the help.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's not (yet) possible to have 1233 with the internal updater.
It's either manually updating to 1233, or internally updated to 1231. verify correctly your version number in the Credit page if you need to tell which version you are using.
but both versions are fine for EmuNAND.

agtugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, I will check the version. I tested Mulana and Caved Story both worked correctly, apparently I selected three wads for my testing that do not work with emunand on usb loader gx at this moment. The specific game that I am trying to run is Pokemon Puzzle (VC N64), I will try with the new version that you mentioned, with partial/full emulation and d2x cios v8/v10 base 56. Where can I put my results? I want to document which games can I run specifying which configuration worked for each case. I needed to use ShowMiiWad to install mulana, when I try to install mulana with the USB Loader GX the screen got frozen and I needed to reboot. Is there any way to make an script to automate this testing or do i need to create the instructions in c++ and then compile?

I checked the file for translation, should I add a comment in the google code page to show that I am working on that? Thanks for your time.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
N64 games require old cIOS (rev17 and rev19 base 38). These cIOS don't support all new features (multiple partitions, 4k sector size, path, etc.), so if you need to play N64 VC games you will have to setup your emuNAND to make it work with older cIOS too.

- put the emuNAND path on the root (not in a sub folder)
- use the first MBR FAT32 primary or extended partition of the drive (primary is a better choice, don't use logical partitions for homebrew, not all of them are compatible)
- drive must be 512bytes per sector (not per cluster)
then, in USBLoaderGX you will be able to set the IOS Slot to rev17 or rev19, if you don't follow these steps it will tell you to use d2x instead. (but N64 games will not work)

There's currently no place to report compatibility.
Users never created one. if you are really serious and plan to test a lot of games, let me know and we can start one on wiki.

I don't understand why you need to recompile C++ to test games?
You mean a batch script to install multiple wad in a single click? it's not currently implemented, but if you do it share the patch so I can add it for everyone else.

Installing La mulana shouldn't hang. I don't know why it froze on your console.

You don't need to add any comment in googlecode, there's a thread here to submit your translated files :)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/language-files-for-usb-loader-gx.155252/

always use the latest version of the file (to be sure you don't miss text or translate old removed entries), edit the version number at the top to match the revision of the loader your translation is intended, and be sure it's saved as UTF8.

You can read here for the full instruction:
http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/issues/detail?id=2227#c8

agtugo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi just an update, I am still testing. I will continue posting my results, hope this helps someone else.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I started to look how neek2o is working in order to implement it to USBLoaderGX.
It will allow users to play from a neek environment and prevent the need to setup old cIOS for problematic games.

It will also fix Wii protected games (Like tintin).

I only started documenting myself, no coding done yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr