Hacking USB Backup Loader : isn't it a bit "too much" ?

Tetram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone,

before I start, I'd like to be as honest as I can : yes, some of my backup are not really backup. Let me tell the "historical" aspect of my wii hacking :

At the beginning, there were nothing. I bought all my games, enjoyed them, and was very happy with my wii.
Then came the modchips. To complicated for me, and didn't want to void my warranty.
A few month ago, it was the era of backup launchers : quite easy to use, but you have to be carefull on the choice of your DVD, and there was this 3x limit.

As for me, I've started downloading iso, "just to see", and when I like the game, I buy it. Hence I bought Fire Emblem for instance. Playing a lot with the 3x limitation was annoying, and the original DVD is nicer than a poor hand written DVD-R. And of course, I want to give money to the team who create the games.

But now, we have USB loader. Of course, I tried it... and it is too much. Let me explain : there are no limitation ! The gaming experience is even better than the original disk ! I bought Okami and Guitar Hero World Tour, but now I always play them with the USB loader because the loadings are shorter.
What's more, making some channel after extracting the opening.bnr, I don't even need to launch the HBC !

And now, I feel a little bit guilty, and I fear that a lot of people won't buy any original game anymore...
I hope this method will not become too popular, because if it does, we will have to face to a real problem : there are not a lot of very good games on Wii, but if people don't buy them anymore....

Well, I hope I didn't annoy you too much with this things, but I believe we have to be a little bit careful about these powerful tools....

Tetram.

PS : sorry for my crap english. I did my best...

quantocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so you're a pirate and you're now complaining that people will use new tools for piracy?

wow, you should've felt guilty the first time you stole a game.

Tetram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's not really what I mean : I know what I do. I don't think I'm a pirate as I still buy games.

My point is that these tools are very easy to use and are so powerfull that it gives a better gaming experience than the originals.
I think this is what Marcan feared about this backup launcher story.

The problem is that now, Nintendo will surely doom the homebrew community, because of these (too) powerfull tools.

Again, pardon my english : my lack of vocabulary leads to confusion...

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
Tetram said:
That's not really what I mean : I know what I do. I don't think I'm a pirate as I still buy games.

My point is that these tools are very easy to use and are so powerfull that it gives a better gaming experience than the originals.
I think this is what Marcan feared about this backup launcher story.

The problem is that now, Nintendo will surely doom the homebrew community, because of these (too) powerfull tools.

Again, pardon my english : my lack of vocabulary leads to confusion...
I agree with you! I use homebrew channel for legal purposes. And using backups through USB-Loader is not piracy as long as you own an original retail copy of the game. And thats exactly what I do!

USB-Loader was a relief for me, having all my games on one place instead of a huge DVD-bag or carrying all the DVD-boxes around. I don't have too swap discs and the loading times is even better. I own retail copy of every game I'm playing on the Wii and using USB-Loader to enhance and simplyfi things.

gitkua

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Actually, in most countries it's not even legal to make a personal backup of software... software falls in some kind of exception... I'm from the Netherlands and I'm 100% sure it's illegal to backup your legally bought software for personal use over here...

Link00y

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
gitkua said:
Actually, in most countries it's not even legal to make a personal backup of software... software falls in some kind of exception... I'm from the Netherlands and I'm 100% sure it's illegal to backup your legally bought software for personal use over here...

Quite sure of it in Germany too.. It is allowed to make one personal copy of non-copy-protected media.. as Wii discs should be considered copy-protected (seeing no computer could regularly read them) it's definitely illegal to copy them

Tetram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In France, you can make a copy as soon as you leave the anti-copy protection on it... Yes, this is nonsense...
BUT, during the various trials on the subject, it appeared that most of the time it is tolerated if you actually have the original disk.
What's more, in France, until now, if you don't sell the copies, you are not too much punished. It's going to change with the HADOPI law : our Internet access can be cut....

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
quantocks said:
wow, you should've felt guilty the first time you stole a game.
He never stole a game.
Please understand the difference between copying stuff and stealing stuff.

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
but here in the netherlands you can legaly download films and music, so our law is not that awfull
smile.gif

but ontopic: now the usb hdd manufacturers will sell more, so the usb loader is not that horrible
tongue.gif

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
gitkua said:
Intresting! Here is Sweden it's 100% legal to do a copy of you own media (DVD, CD, including games) for your own purposes, to protect your originals from scratches etc. If you lend the copy or sell it, it's illegal ofc.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This old discussion
smile.gif
but i know what you mean.
Anyway i don´t think that the USB loader will be a big problem i for one buying the games later when they are cheaper but of course now that the usb loader is out i´m using him too.
I mean look at the PSP this is even easier to hack and they are still releasing game the sellings of the games are not really good (most of the games too
wink.gif
)

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The USB loader is perfect for me because Nintendo doesn't even sell their stuff where I live. So I just "acquire" games and play!

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of buying original games (i have a n64 and gameboy color with original games) but I have no choice but to pirate since Nintendo doesn't sell games here. Using the USB loader is my way of saying FUCK YOU NINTENDO!

PS: I will buy games the moment they become available
smile.gif
But I will still use the USB Loader for those because of the much better experience!
laugh.gif

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
bowser said:
The USB loader is perfect for me because Nintendo doesn't even sell their stuff where I live. So I just "acquire" games and play!

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of buying original games (i have a n64 and gameboy color with original games) but I have no choice but to pirate since Nintendo doesn't sell games here. Using the USB loader is my way of saying FUCK YOU NINTENDO!

PS: I will buy games the moment they become available
smile.gif
But I will still use the USB Loader for those because of the much better experience!
laugh.gif
I think this is very intresting too! May I ask why you can't buy it in India?

Regars,
CreX

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
when it comes to piracy you've gotta always remember 1 thing not EVERYONE knows about it! there will always be people buying the orignal discs no matter what. as for the loader i absolutely love sitting in my chair and flipping through games without ever leaving the couch. and the usb 2.0 speeds which is way faster than cd loading speed is the icing on the cake.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?