• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

USA - Russia is mocking you for bringing home a junkie!

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Listening to Americans decry propaganda as if they wrote the book. :lol: The reason the Russian propaganda works is because of the gems of truth that it contains. The appearance of choosing affirmative action over loyalty is so easy to frame because very few words are needed to spell it out. Russia going ham on it is entirely unsurprising. American propaganda *often works like this: take an inconvenient fact, have someone you don't like say it; voila, no more inconvenient fact.
The reason russian propaganda works so well is that they appeal to racists. Mrdude spelled it out a couple posts back.

"Surely the only reason they traded to liberate this American citizen that most believe is being unjustly held is because she is a black woman. Look at her, she's such a dangerous drug trafficker with that enormous supply of a harmless drug in that little vape pen. This is obviously a bias against oppressed white men."

Its so stupid. Anyone that believes this is both a racist and projecting their racism. Literally no one else cares about her race or gender. Only that she was serving a decade by an enemy country for a minor crime.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The reason russian propaganda works so well is that they appeal to racists. Mrdude spelled it out a couple posts back.

"Surely the only reason they traded to liberate this American citizen that most believe is being unjustly held is because she is a black woman. Look at her, she's such a dangerous drug trafficker with that enormous supply of a harmless drug in that little vape pen. This is obviously a bias against oppressed white men."

Its so stupid. Anyone that believes this is both a racist and projecting their racism. Literally no one else cares about her race or gender. Only that she was serving a decade by an enemy country for a minor crime.

It's not racist to acknowledge the fact that America practices affirmative action and that it looks like the option they elected for over taking responsibility for and demonstrating loyalty to a service member who pledged their life to serve the country.

If anything, this does prompt an informative response from the administration.

Reactions: mrdude

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not racist to acknowledge the fact that America practices affirmative action and that it looks like the option they elected for over taking responsibility for and demonstrating loyalty to a service member who pledged their life to serve the country.

If anything, this does prompt an informative response from the administration.
Considering trump said that he was presented with a deal to have Paul whelan released during his presidency and actively refused, you think maybe, just maybe, there's a political or national security reason that we don't know about that has prevented his release? Or is trumps administration racially and gender biased as well? I'm interested to see if you try to have it both ways here. How are you going to spin this so that trumps admin was justified but biden's wasnt?

Reactions: The Catboy

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
this American citizen that most believe is being unjustly held is because she is a black woman.
That's what happens when you break the laws of another country - everyone knows when you smuggle drugs through another country you will be dealt with if caught. You can try and spin this as much as you want, but she's a criminal, she now has a criminal record and she's done jail time in a foreign country for drug smuggling.
Personally I am happy she was caught and paid for her crimes, I am just a little miffed she didn't spend longer in jail.

• Haha

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's what happens when you break the laws of another country - everyone knows when you smuggle drugs through another country you will be dealt with if caught. You can try and spin this as much as you want, but she's a criminal, she now has a criminal record and she's done jail time in a foreign country for drug smuggling.
Personally I am happy she was caught and paid for her crimes, I am just a little miffed she didn't spend longer in jail.
I've looked and only Americans have served decades or more. Everyone else pays a fine and/or spends a few weeks in jail. So its an unjust imprisonment by their own laws.

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
I've looked and only Americans have served decades or more. Everyone else pays a fine and/or spends a few weeks in jail. So its an unjust imprisonment by their own laws.
Well when you are stupid enough to go to another country and especially Russia at a time when there's so much tension between USA/Russia, and then break their laws by smuggling drugs through their border, you should accept the consequences when caught. Only a complete idiot or someone that thought they were above the law would be so stupid to think there wouldn't be any consequences when caught.

Still swapping a druggie instead of a spy for an Arms dealer.......

Mind you the Biden admin has shown how pathetic it is, this is just another thing in a long list of failures and I expect more failures from them worse than this. Luckily the brakes are on that admin now that they are no longer control the house.

• Haha

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well when you are stupid enough to go to another country and especially Russia at a time when there's so much tension between USA/Russia, and then break their laws by smuggling drugs through their border, you should accept the consequences when caught. Only a complete idiot or someone that thought they were above the law would be so stupid to think there wouldn't be any consequences when caught.

Still swapping a druggie instead of a spy for an Arms dealer.......

Mind you the Biden admin has shown how pathetic it is, this is just another thing in a long list of failures and I expect more failures from them worse than this. Luckily the brakes are on that admin now that they are no longer control the house.

let me just recap for a sec for my own clarity here.

So, you're not racist.

But dems are racist.

You think this woman should spend more than decades in a Russian prison which is already way more time than anyone else

and the guy that committed a more serious crime threatening their national security should have been released.

Because she's black and he's white...

Because the dems are racist....

Wtf are you talking about?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How are you going to spin this so that trumps admin was justified but biden's wasnt?

Maybe read what I say?

The fact that both Trump administration and Biden administration has little or nothing to say on the matter is troubling.

Or is trumps administration racially and gender biased as well?

If you are suggesting that he, too, practiced affirmative action over loyalty, share those goods. Not because it defeats my argument, but because I would find it interesting and maybe diffuse some diehard Trump loyalists.

If you want to know how Trump might have rationalized it, read what he says yourself:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...isoner-swap-for-michigans-whelan/69720831007/

My initial thought was that he could have been trying to be hands off Russia because even when he wasn't interacting with Russia, he was actively being accused of working with Russia; so maybe he had to be hands off.

But he says it's because he doesn't think trading a criminal responsible for many deaths for innocent people is a good deal.

you think maybe, just maybe, there's a political or national security reason that we don't know about that has prevented his release?

Yeah, like admitting that they sent someone to spy on them. As I already stated.

and the guy that committed a more serious crime threatening their national security should have been released.

You are an idiot if you are going to pretend that he spied on Russia of his own volition.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe read what I say?

If you are suggesting that he, too, practiced affirmative action over loyalty, share those goods. Not because it defeats my argument, but because I would find it interesting and maybe diffuse some diehard Trump loyalists.

If you want to know how Trump might have rationalized it, read what he says yourself:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...isoner-swap-for-michigans-whelan/69720831007/

My initial thought was that he could have been trying to be hands off Russia because even when he wasn't interacting with Russia, he was actively being accused of working with Russia; so maybe he had to be hands off.

But he says it's because he doesn't think trading a criminal responsible for many deaths for innocent people is a good deal.

Yeah, like admitting that they sent someone to spy on them. As I already stated.
So it stands to reason that racial motivation is the least likely factor.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
let me just recap for a sec for my own clarity here.

So, you're not racist.

But dems are racist.

You think this woman should spend more than decades in a Russian prison which is already way more time than anyone else

Because she's black and he's white...

Because the dems are racist....

Wtf are you talking about?
Haha, typical lefty - goes about calling everyone a racist when they don't like something another person says or posts in the hope of trying to silence them or to divert from the subject being discussed.

I haven't posted anything racist, but you seem to see racism in everything you disagree with.

If you were in a zombie appocalypse - this would be you.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Haha, typical lefty - goes about calling everyone a racist when they don't like something another person says or posts in the hope of trying to silence them or to divert from the subject being discussed.

I haven't posted anything racist, but you seem to see racism in everything you disagree with.

If you were in a zombie appocalypse - this would be you.

Took you long enough to not even dispute what I said..

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If he was off the table that makes her the only deal. So there is no one to compare her to. Which makes her race irrelevant, no?

He wasn't off the table. So far, both administrations haven't admitted that or even suggested that it is a matter of national security. Until those words come out, how things look is the most acceptable. Are you entertaining a conspiracy theory?

Hiding behind "national security" to rationalize anything is pretty authoritarian btw.

Last edited by tabzer,

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So far, both administrations haven't admitted that or even suggested that it is a matter of national security. Until those words come out, how things look is the most acceptable.
You just defined prejudice. Thats how it looks to "you". You took incomplete information, filtered through your biases, reinforced by cheap Russian propaganda, and used the word "fact" a couple dozen times in this thread.

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
You just defined prejudice. Thats how it looks to "you". You took incomplete information, filtered through your biases, reinforced by cheap Russian propaganda, and used the word "fact" a couple dozen times in this thread.
Do you know what's prejudice? You are, you have shown it over and over in this thread.

Also, you have constantly tried to brush this womens crime off as not really a crime, where's your outrage over all the people in your countries prisons that are in there for possession of cannabis, you do know in USA you can get 5 years in prison for that, yet you seem to think every countries laws should be the same as USA and that their (other countries) laws are unjust, either you have prejudice against those countries (which you cleary do in the case of Russia), or you're basically just a troll.

Anyway, whatever the case it makes no difference - you've got your junkie back, so hopefully you'll be happy about that now.

• Haha

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

If you want to dispute a matter in how I used the word "fact" specifically, that would be very welcomed.

I know we don't have complete information. I am concerning myself with available information.

If you have reason to believe that your country has stopped lying to you and is no longer a beacon of propaganda, I am open to hear why your "bias" is more reasonable.

I'd also be interested in hearing how your non-existing claims of "threats of national security" would rationalize keeping the soldier in Russian possession.

To me, it just looks like you are getting upset and are pivoting.

To a lot more people than just "me", it looks like the Biden administration chose affirmative action over confronting a greater scandal, like sending a spy into Russia.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Do you know what's prejudice? You are, you have shown it over and over in this thread.

Also, you have constantly tried to brush this womens crime off as not really a crime, where's your outrage over all the people in your countries prisons that are in there for possession of cannabis, you do know in USA you can get 5 years in prison for that, yet you seem to think every countries laws should be the same as USA and that their (other countries) laws are unjust, either you have prejudice against those countries (which you cleary do in the case of Russia), or you're basically just a troll.

Anyway, whatever the case it makes no difference - you've got your junkie back, so hopefully you'll be happy about that now.
How is a single THC vape pen a greater crime compared to espionage?

Reactions: WeedZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But you said pine apple...