Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 without losing drivers?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Missingphy, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Missingphy
    OP

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    is there a way to update the os without losing my drivers? i dont have anything intereting on it but if i lose the drivers, i would have to install them again.

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Windows 10 should be able to pick up most of the drivers by it self.

Lacius likes this.
  3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    • An update installation will preserve all compatible drivers, updating the ones it can.
    • A clean installation will remove all of the drivers before attempting to install what it can.
    If there isn't a specific driver compatibility issue that you've been dealing with, you probably don't need to worry about preserving any drivers. On modern hardware, Windows 10 does a good job installing necessary drivers, and Windows Update does a good job updating them.

4. Missingphy
    OP

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    so if i upgrade, all of the drivers would be erased, but at the same time, they would be reinstalled?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

so i can just pick up the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 installer and update without worrying?

5. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Most of the drivers should just work , it is pretty much plug and play on windows 10, as for your files and programs if you want to keep them you need to do the upgrade not clean install.

Lacius and Missingphy like this.
  6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you do an update install, you probably won't run into any issues. If you do a clean install, you also probably won't run into any issues, but there's a small chance Windows 10 won't find a driver for one or more of your devices. Even if that happens, installing drivers is a piece of cake. If there's nothing else important on the computer (programs, files, etc.), do a clean install. If you have programs/files you don't want to worry about restoring, do an update install.

Off topic, but do you already know how you will be activating Windows 10 after the update?

7. Missingphy
    OP

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    activate it?

8. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Drivers between Windows 7 and 10 are not generally the same, and things like video cards, and sound cards should be specifically removed, and reinstalled after the update. Beyond that, Windows 10 will cover most of them except on very old and/or unique hardware.

Sophie-bear and Lacius like this.
  9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    To be able to fully use Windows, it has to be activated. If you update from Windows 7 to Windows 10, you either need to a.) buy a license, or b.) use a certain method out there to get a legitimate license for free.

However, if Windows 10 is unlicensed, the only real restrictions are cosmetic. The operating system still largely works.

10. Missingphy
    OP

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    my windows 7 is genuine, so the license should be somewhere in my pc, right?

11. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    Did Windows come with the device? (Is it OEM?)

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    A Windows 7 license is not the same thing as a Windows 10 license. When Windows 10 first came out, you could get a free Windows 10 license by updating from Windows 7, but that's technically no longer the case. If you update now, your Windows 7 license is useless.

It is possible, however, to trick your Windows 10 into thinking you did the upgrade back then.

13. Missingphy
    OP

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    yes, it was pre installed

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

how do i trick it?

14. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    As far as I know you cans still use the Windows 10 upgrade tool for free. If 7 is activated, then 10 will remain activated. Unless that has changed in the last 6 months. The upgrade is no longer available via Windows Update, but the upgrade software has always worked.

Missingphy likes this.
  15. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    Make sure you do get it directly from microsoft.com, because you can do that.

It still works, I used it not even a week ago on someone's Win8 device.

16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    In a nutshell, there's an application you can run after you install Windows 10 that will run through the old Windows 7 to Windows 10 activation process.

17. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Yea, I didn't think it was going anywhere. The limited window of time was to get people to upgrade via Windows Update. That said, the ability shouldn't go away.

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can use the upgrade tool for free, but if you're updating from Windows 7, activations stopped back in 2016 or so.

Nevermind.

Last edited by Lacius, Jun 24, 2019
  19. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I've definitely used it more recently than that. If it's activated, it'll stay activated. I'm running it on a Windows 7 unit I had sitting at the office now just to test.

20. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I would advise to make a full backup before upgrading, using something like Macrium Reflect Free.

I've only done 8.1 to 10 so I can't say specifically for w7, but I didn't have any driver issues that I noticed.

Does the disability method still work?