Upgrading an already modded Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cammelspit, Sep 5, 2013.

1. cammelspit
    OP

cammelspit Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2012
    United States
    Mesa, AZ
    Is it "SAFE" to update a sytem menu version of my wii to 4.3 safely? My Wii has been modded for years now and I just want to "pimp" out my Wii. Also, I am thoroughly confused as to what I should update my CIOSs to and what slots to use and was wondering if anyone knows of a nice CIOS primer out there because even though I get a few VERY rare crashes, my Wii does still work well but I would like to "bring it up to date" if at all possible SAFELY.

Thanks to anyone in advance for some insight into this:yaywii:

2. yafaiz

yafaiz Old Salt

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2013
    Make sure that your HBC is completely up to date and go ahead with an official update from Nintendo to 4.3, you can then use IOS236 installer to get Cios 249/50/51 back following any guide on this site.

HBC won't be deleted with the Official update as long as it's the newest version.

3. cammelspit
    OP

cammelspit Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2012
    United States
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you kind sir, I appreciate that. But to just be clear. The official nintendo installer WILL kill and CIOSs I have installed and then I will have to reinstall those but not do a whole fresh mod since the HBC is already installed, am I understanding this correctly?

4. yafaiz

yafaiz Old Salt

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2013
    Yep all CIOS will disappear but HBC will not as long as it's the newest one.

5. cammelspit
    OP

cammelspit Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2012
    United States
    Mesa, AZ
    Worked like a charm! Thanks again for the assist. I was just worried on how badly I could mess up my Wii.:yay:

6. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    FYI that's not how I would have done it, but hey.

You should now re-install the HBC (after your update), even if it's the current version, because then it will run on IOS58. Install bootmii as boot2 if possible, and if not then install as IOS, and make a NAND backup. Then, after doing all that, then update the cIOS's. Easy.

7. yafaiz

yafaiz Old Salt

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2013
    If he updated to newest HBC before the update it should detect and run on IOS58 anyway (So that's not needed) The rest he should have already done even on previous FW.

8. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    Depends if he had IOS58 before the update, and it sounds like he didn't. There's no harm in re-installing the HBC over an existing installation in any case.

9. cammelspit
    OP

cammelspit Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2012
    United States
    Mesa, AZ
    I did actually have 58 before the update and my HBC was only X.0.2 behind the current revision. My big issue I had was with the Cios and what bases to use but I got some help from another thread as I thought it was unrelated to the update. I guess I didn't realize the base meant that it was the actual code/calls base for the IOS and I was using the crappy ones that didn't work with a lot of stuff. If you are interested here is the link to my other thread. http://gbatemp.net/threads/usbloadergx-emunand-channels-not-loading-after-update.354475/ Even if it wan't the best or easiest way to do an update of the FW and HBC it still did work out in the end and it seems to be working with more stuff now that I have my IOS crap sorted. Just thought you guys might want to know :)

Still, Thanks for the assist

10. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Don't forget to reinstall every cIOS and first things first, bootmii and priiloader.

11. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Just so you know, there are only downsides to upgrading past 4.3. Most of them aren't a big deal (no region free for modchips and bricking region changed Korean Wii's are the two big ones), but considering there are absolutely NO improvements past 4.1, it seems stupid to update. You're just making more work for yourself too, since you've got to re-install a bunch of stuff.