Update .CIA games? (QUESTION)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by NoWeeb, Jan 11, 2016.

1. NoWeeb
    OP

NoWeeb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    Chicago
    Hello, I wanted to ask another very noobs question. If you download a .CIA and it says there's an update, can you download the update from the eShop or do you have to download a .cia version of the update

trsoares likes this.
  2. juniorcba

juniorcba Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2007
    Brazil
    When I tried it worked.

3. williamdabastrd

williamdabastrd GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Ohio
    The updates are seperate titles, so as long as you aren't updating your firmware it should be fine.

4. naivegirl2411

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    Yeah I updated my legit cia titles as well as download updates for other legit cias I havent installed yet. Just in case

5. trsoares

trsoares GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Brazil
    So we do not need to download Those .cia archives updates ?

eg, Like the v1.1 Smash Bros we find on the iso site ...

Just install the game and updates it trough "auto-update"?

6. KaleoOmega

KaleoOmega I just don't know what to do with myself...

Apr 17, 2013
    Brazil
    Did that yesterday with Triforce Heroes: installed the game as a .cia file on my 2DS' 10.3 Emunand, then downloaded the 2.1 update from the eShop; the game is running fine, even online, etc.

7. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    If the update is for a CIA game that is from the same region of your system or if it's a "universal" title like Pokémon it'll work.
    Trying to update a game from a foreign region (even if the game received region free patch) it'll fail to access the update on Nintendo servers so you'll have to manually obtain the CIA file for the update and install it through FBI, BBM, devmenu or similar apps, that's one of the reasons to host these as CIA files.
    Other reason is that if you enter the actual eShop to download the updates it'll remove illegal downloads but updating from home menu directly seems to not affect them.

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    if the region is the same, you can download from the eshop. however, at least for smash bros, i've seen a few people, myself included, who couldn't use smash dlc in cia form without also removing all eshop update files for smash and using the cia for the latest update instead

9. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i heard that you cant ever update region patcjed games at all even with a cia
    it must be true becauase i have tried multiple times to update my MK7 and SSB CIA's and the update cia finishes installing but the games still says to update
    so i assume the cia's i installed were out of my region originally and are region fixed then?
    what else would cause the update to not be applied? cia game install and cia update, and nothing happens, still prompts for an update

10. Svaethier

Svaethier GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 2, 2013
    United States
    Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
    did you make sure the update .cia file matched the region of the game region file?

11. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    This, the update you downloaded must match the region from where the title comes from. If you downloaded a Euro version of MK7 and SBB you must download the updates from European versions. That's why uploaders on "that ISO site" list the original region from a region free patched game.

12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    yeah but you cant do that because if you say download and install a EU cia of SSB that has been region fixed for your US console
    you cant install a EU cia update to US console
    and i don't think that updates can even be region free patched, maybe they can be but i have never seen any of "that ISO site"
    i never seen a EU game update cia that fixed for region free
    or anything along those lines, so i guess i am stuck and will have to delete the titles now

13. trsoares

trsoares GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Brazil
    So, region free does not update through eshop too, right ?

14. moopas

moopas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2010
    United States
    Greetings,

I too had a small question regarding this very topic. I read through many things first, so I didn't ask a baseless question, but couldn't seem to find a straight answer. Let me start off by saying that I understand you can update installed cia games through the eshop, you can download the update cia packages and install them, you can use a retail cart with rxtools to install the updates and still play via the retail carts with the updates/dlc etc. But heres my question:

To update cia games via the cia installation method, must I install the updates chronologically? Like update 1.1 first, then 2.0, then 2.2, etc.? Or may I simply install the most recent version, and that will include all of the updates from previous versions in one go. I'm just used to the eshop method, and I do not know if the method it uses simply installs updates chornologically, or if it just uses the latest, and since the cia package method would be me manually installing, I wish to know what I should do.

TLDR: Install update cia files chronologically? (1.1, 2.0, 2.1 etc.), or just most recent? (only 2.1 would include all previous updates?)