Update a game without updating system firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SplashyM8, Mar 8, 2015.

1. SplashyM8
    OP

SplashyM8 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2015
    United States
    I purchased Omega Ruby yesterday and I am on firmware 9.4 so I am able to use Ram2Sav, PKHeX, etc. However in order to play online I obviously need to download the current patch for the game. But in order to do so, I am prompted to first update my system.

Is there any way to update the game but not the firmware? Such as having a friend download the patch onto my SD card or just having him download it and send me the files? I am not sure whether or not software updates are NNID locked, etc. but I really need a way around this otherwise I might as well just update everything.

If there is no way around I will probably just buy a 2DS for my online play.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Not without a 4.5 3DS and a gateway cart with EmuNAND.

3. SplashyM8
    OP

SplashyM8 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2015
    United States
    Just placed an order on a Crystal Red 2DS. Matches Omega Ruby + I can keep my XL on 9.4 forever :) thanks.

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    2DS can't be downgraded past 6.0, you know that right?

5. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Majora's mask actually downloads the patch if your connected to the internet when you open it to play. It is the only game I know of with "self updating".