WIP Upcoming update for the SwitchBru DNS

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Ep8Script, Apr 2, 2018.

1. LooP403

LooP403 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2018
    United States
    Hello, I was just wondering if this DNS doubles as an update blocker. I've been hesitant to use it just in case it isn't but I thought I may as well ask.

2. Mnecraft368

Mnecraft368 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 8, 2015

Ep8Script likes this.
  3. LooP403

LooP403 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2018
    United States
    So say if I ( hypothetically) Hit the software update button and it triggers a software update it'll most likely just boot into the browser?

Ep8Script likes this.
  4. Mnecraft368

Aug 8, 2015
    Clicking the "Download" Update button would probably do that. But install would just install it straight away.

Ep8Script likes this.
  5. LooP403

LooP403 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2018
    United States
    Sweet! I'm gonna set it up when I finish my work. Thanks so much for your help! :D

Ep8Script and Mnecraft368 like this.
  6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    This is, really cool.

Ep8Script and Mnecraft368 like this.
  7. Ep8Script
    OP

Ep8Script GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2017
    Australia
    Hey, sorry for all the constant delays and no real release date set yet, but this will likely be released next week at the earliest, because something really big came up on Wednesday, and also the fact that school's coming back up soon and I still haven't got messages or adding friends working yet - I'll try my best to have it done as soon as I can, thank you all for your patience and understanding. :)

8. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Two questions @Ep8Script
    1. Could you include the "install" and "run" button needed for the hbmenu on 3.0.0 into your DNS page?
    2. Could we use some altered form of the FAKE NEWS script to access your DNS page directly from the news section instead of going through internet settings all the time?
    And of course blocking updates would be kind of important as well but this has been said here multiple times. :P

9. Mnecraft368

Aug 8, 2015
    You can just open the game update menu by pressing + on any game, going to software update, and then trying to update.

Last edited by Mnecraft368, Apr 13, 2018
  10. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Yeah that's actually the way to use this obviously but how would that help me? I was asking for the hbmenu things to be included in SW DNS. Having the hbmenu DNS as secondary DNS won't help me at all. I would only get there if SW DNS is offline.
    Hm? That are you talking about? I'm aware of how to do updates and I don't intend to do them lol.

11. Ep8Script
    OP

Aug 5, 2017
    Australia
    I'm not really sure if the homebrew menu works through it. There is version checking though so maybe at some point it could work, you'd have to ask @vgmoose about it though, probably.

Not sure about the Fake News, I understand what it is but I'm not really sure if I'd know how to do it, sorry.

And it does block updates. :)

What he said is exactly right... if you have our DNS server set, any way you attempt to connect to the internet apart from the eShop will open the browser up.

So it won't actually update the game, he means if you open the game settings and go to update, it will open the browser as long as you are connected to the DNS. Hope that helps.

lordelan likes this.
  12. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Thanks for that quick reply man. :) @vgmoose since the source for the web host package is linked here it could be possible to include those install and run payloads (or whatever they are) into your nice SwitchBru DNS site, right? That'd be fantastic! :)
    That Fake News install script is available in the PegaSwitch repo. Dunno whether it could be adjusted. More likely your server would have to be adjusted as (if I got that right) PegaSwitch have to be launched with a specific argument (--webapplet) in order to listen for clients that are approaching an entry from that news widget. Here's the main thread for that: click me.

It's just a suggestion what I wrote but I'd imagine if your DNS page supports all the feature from first post's YT video and the necessary things for the hbmenu, every 3.0.0 user would be completely satisfied and more than happy to use it. :)
    Awesome. Sorry if you already posted this in an earlier post in this thread. Didn't read it all. :P

13. Mnecraft368

Aug 8, 2015
    That's a half finished post (thanks draft)
    Realised it wouldn't work so posted something else.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That opens the browser, it doesn't update because you can't connect to the internet without going through the sign in menu.

Ep8Script and lordelan like this.
  14. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Yeah @Ep8Script already cleared that up for me so thanks for the tip. I would however still prefer if that PegaSwitch Fake News widget would work. :P

Mnecraft368 and Ep8Script like this.
  15. Thomhack

Thomhack Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2018
    France
    @Ep8Script can you send me your actual work for 4.0.0 update i will try to help you

16. Ep8Script
    OP

Aug 5, 2017
    Australia
    Lol thanks, but the good news is the progress for this is picking up the pace. Friends are almost completely implemented, along with the brand new Friend Corner(!!), and following that, all I have to do is messages so hopefully that doesn't take me 10 years.

Mnecraft368 and lordelan like this.
  17. Leonidas87

Leonidas87 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    Canada
    Barrie, Ontario
    Sounds like we may be close to a public release possibly.

Ep8Script likes this.
  18. Ep8Script
    OP

Aug 5, 2017
    Australia
    That's the plan! :D

19. Thomhack

Thomhack Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2018
    France
    Possible release date?

20. Ep8Script
    OP

Aug 5, 2017
    Australia
    This weekend in theory, but I hate making promises if I can't keep them.

Leonidas87, Mnecraft368 and lordelan like this.