Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lGcYU.jpg

According to Loudmouthgamers, Epic Vice President Mark Rein took the stage yesterday at DICE and revealed that Unreal Engine 4 is currently running on "...systems [they] can’t name yet." Rein's presentation has left many speculating as to just how soon Microsoft will reveal their next-generation console.

Rein also told G4TV that Unreal Engine 4 will roll out this year. "People are going to be shocked...when they see Unreal Engine 4 and how much more profound an effect it will have," Rein said.

icon11.gif
Source

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Systems? The WiiU has already been announced, and I'm pretty sure it won't be running on there. That leaves Microsoft, Sony, and a possible 4th contender. Microsoft already seems to be making a 3rd Xbox, so there's one of our minimum two systems. Sony has 10 year plans for all of its consoles, thus I doubt they'll have one coming out soon. In my mind, that guarantees either there's a console from another manufacturer coming soon, or it will run on the iPad 3 or some Apple product of that ilk.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Systems? The WiiU has already been announced, and I'm pretty sure it won't be running on there. That leaves Microsoft, Sony, and a possible 4th contender. Microsoft already seems to be making a 3rd Xbox, so there's one of our minimum two systems. Sony has 10 year plans for all of its consoles, thus I doubt they'll have one coming out soon. In my mind, that guarantees either there's a console from another manufacturer coming soon, or it will run on the iPad 3 or some Apple product of that ilk.
I fully expect some form of it to be running on iOS.
The PS4 is confirmed to be in development (The PS2's "10 year life cycle" stretched well past the release of the PS3).
The NextBox is also in development.
I see no reason why this wouldn't run on the Wii U.
And, of course, it will be on PC.

None of this suggests a new platform to me.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow ??? *ROLLING EYES*

in the latest issue of Xbox World magazine, Microsoft's next Xbox is set to include a Wii U-like touchscreen controller.

tsk tsk.. PS3 motion controller via Wii-mote and now this ? The copying is annoying!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow ??? *ROLLING EYES*

in the latest issue of Xbox World magazine, Microsoft's next Xbox is set to include a Wii U-like touchscreen controller.

tsk tsk.. PS3 motion controller via Wii-mote and now this ? The copying is annoying!

Um, what does this have to do with Unreal Engine 4 at all?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they can run it on next gen systems that are running on lower mid end pc hardware like components, Why can't they just release it for pc right now?

Probably still in the works or there's no point releasing it for the PC when it can't go multiplat. Like seriously, look at all the Unreal Engine games and name how many are multiplat. It's pretty high.

Zeroneo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is the full quote that states what the engine is running on:

Today the engine runs on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, iOS, Android, Nintendo Wii U, PlayStation Vita and even in web browsers using Flash... oh, and *laughter* some platforms we are not allowed to mention by name yet. Soon we'll be unveiling the amazing Unreal Engine 4.

manuel1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wii U supports for sure the light Version. Nintendo will do everything to get as much engines running on it as possible.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The PS4 is confirmed to be in development (The PS2's "10 year life cycle" stretched well past the release of the PS3).

i see it being on wii u, nomatter what anyone says, i see it even having a chance on 3DS, maybe most likely a custom version tho.
what about other companys making consoles?
like panasonic, gamestop tablet, onlive, steam, isec?
i see a 4th or even 5th company making a console, not only nintendo, microsoft, & sony.
coolest thing i seen for far as nextgen is wii u console tho.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wii U supports for sure the light Version. Nintendo will do everything to get as much engines running on it as possible.
Currently it's a possibility, On the other hand, comparing the PS3 and 360 to the Wii shows something that was done this gen that made Nintendo the underdog in terms of graphics (Crysis 2 anyone?). Hopefully we'll see something really interesting on the next gen consoles :)

i see it being on wii u, nomatter what anyone says, i see it even having a chance on 3DS, maybe most likely a custom version tho.
Not sure if you're honestly saying that the 3DS could run Unreal Engine 4 games when DS fps games have been pretty much point and shoot in terms of compatibility. Don't get me wrong, I've played quite a few fps games on the DS (from Metroind Hunters to CoD games) and they've been amusing. They just don't work in comparison to TV-based consoles.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Currently it's a possibility, On the other hand, comparing the PS3 and 360 to the Wii shows something that was done this gen that made Nintendo the underdog in terms of graphics (Crysis 2 anyone?). Hopefully we'll see something really interesting on the next gen consoles :)

Not sure if you're honestly saying that the 3DS could run Unreal Engine 4 games when DS fps games have been pretty much point and shoot in terms of compatibility. Don't get me wrong, I've played quite a few fps games on the DS (from Metroind Hunters to CoD games) and they've been amusing. They just don't work in comparison to TV-based consoles.
those are DS games not 3DS games...
3DS games are alot more capable than DS games, even resident evil 5 was running on 3DS.
& resident evil revelations just came out.

D

Deleted_171835

It's pretty silly to think that the iPad 3 (a portable device) will be able to run Unreal Engine 4 while the Wii U will not.

This is the full quote that states what the engine is running on:

Today the engine runs on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, iOS, Android, Nintendo Wii U, PlayStation Vita and even in web browsers using Flash... oh, and *laughter* some platforms we are not allowed to mention by name yet. Soon we'll be unveiling the amazing Unreal Engine 4.
Yeah, I don't really see where he says anything about UE4 running on next-gen systems.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New and better graphics will be nice, but I wish that there was more of a focus on cutting down the costs of producing games. It'd be nice to see creative and innovative ideas no longer stifled or watered down (at least to the degree that we see today) because a single miscalculated risk can sink an entire company.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0