Hardware Unpatched switch purchase - why sell tablet only?

cukiyoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I've been looking at buying an unpatched switch, off gumtree or facebook marketplace, so I can have fun mucking around with CFW.

I've noticed a lot of people are selling the tablet only. These people sometimes have lots of switch stuff for sale, so I'm guessing that they are buyer/seller profiteers. However, some don't and I'm not sure if I should be worried as to why they are not including the joy-cons or dock (were they damaged / had the drift problem ect).

Is there something I should look out for when purchasing a tablet only switch? I can source the dock/joycons no problem, but don't want to get scammed. My guess is that they have been banned, and the seller wants to shift it and move on.

The things I already know to check are:

- Look at the serial number / firmware number in the system settings (not just the sticker) to make sure it is safe
- Log in with my account and try to go online or to the eshop and download something free (in case they are banned).

Alternatively, is it better to not search 'unpatched switch' and just to try and find an old switch from someone who isn't aware of modding. Thanks for any advice.

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depend on your patience level, if you can wait to find an old switch that is unpatch then it will be a good deal. If you know that it's ban then you can get a discount too when negotiating. Most people don't care if it is banned or not though.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
either faulty rails or faulty sticks or greedy seller wanting to pass them off at cex prices. most of these people bulk buy at cheap prices and usually if they dont come complete, they sell as sold as seen or untested 90% of the time it has been tested and faulty, but by saying this the likes of fleabay and they seem to think it lets them off selling faukty shit.

i think also the chances of buying an unpatched switch at a good price will be hard, if its not faulty as its a dirty cheap nasty console prone to fuck up.

if your lucky to source a chip you can get someone to fit it in as it supports all models so far.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I have done in the past I had asked for the serial number for the switches on ebay from private sellers. If you specially buy an "unpatched switch" the sellers will upsell...

CJ7

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you manage to get an unpatched switch tablet only? My son is after one- don't know where to start! Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over