unlink emunand(s) without losing data?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by 4ur0r, Jan 10, 2016.

1. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    As the title states, is there a way to unlink sysNAND and EmuNAND without losing my data on the sysNAND? I read somewhere you can dump the sysnand, format sysnand and then restore it, but shouldn't that "reconnect" the NANDs?
    I'm on N3DS 9.2 with rxTools (linked NANDs atm).

2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    format the emunand then.

3. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    I'd prefer not to do that either, if possible.

4. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Then no, the goal of unlinking is to have them not share data. So you'll have to get rid of either sysNAND's data or emuNAND's data...

5. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    Alright, I get it.
    But shoulnd't be possible to clone sysNAND to emuNAND? Or it's the same as formatting sysNAND and then restoring it?

6. Filo97

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    yes, with emunand9tool, but then they would be linked again.

7. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    Not quite sure what would you like to save from sysnand but:
    Backup sysnand with emunand9tool or copy the nintendo3ds folder on your PC. Format the emunand. Copy back the nintendo3ds folder or clone sys into emu with emunand9tool. Format sysnand without the microsd

8. TrashyClassy

TrashyClassy Professional Shitposter

Sep 26, 2015
    Malaysia
    Planeptune
    Backup the sysnand nand.bin then do the process of unlinking. After you unlinked them, flash the nand back using gateway.

9. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    Will do! But are you sure the two NANDs will be unlinked then?

10. Filo97

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    nope, when you inject the sysnand backup in emunand you have everything linked again if is a backup maded before the unlink.

11. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    You didn't say what you want to save, anyway I'll try to explain better.
    I had some games installed into my sysnand, with saves too.
    What I did:
    1) Placed the microsd into my PC and made a backup copy of the Nintendo3DS folder.
    2) Opened the gateway launcher (im not a GW user but you can launch the menu anyway) and selected the "format emunand" option.

NB: now you have an emunand that's linked to the sysnand.

3) Placed the microsd card into my PC and copied back the Nintendo3DS folder from my desktop into the microsd card

NB2: if you look at your Nintendo3DS folder, you'll see that inside you'll have the same "random numbered folder".

4) powered on the 3ds without the microsd card and did a sys format (dont know how it's named in english)

5) after the format and the power off, reinsert the microsd card into the 3ds and power on. It will does a new setup, creating folders.

Now your nands are unlinked, you can see opening the nintendo3ds folder and you will see two random numbered folders, the one with more GB weight is your emunand with games installed and the other is the sysnand.

Doing this way i had my games transferred from the sysnand into the emunand, with samegames too.

12. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    That was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't wanted to lose my game saves.
    Although, wouldn't format the sysNAND unlink my NNID from the console? I mean, I purchased some games from the eshop and I would like to reinstall them after I format sysNAND, is that possible? What I'd like to keep is my NNID in sysNAND. Sorry if I didn't specified that before.

Last edited by 4ur0r, Jan 10, 2016
  13. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    I had a long post typed up, but the TL;DR version is this:
    You must format either the emuNAND or the sysNAND. There is no other option.
    Backup your save data using Save Data Manager prior to the format. Restore the saves after the format.

14. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    I'm going to format the sysNAND, but will I be able to redownload games I purchased with my NNID in the eshop (with some kind of spoof)? I just want to keep my games on the sysNAND too

15. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    I know you can download game updates from the eShop using an eShop spoof, but I can't guarantee games. I know downloading Ironfall doesn't work.

Last edited by shaneod, Jan 10, 2016
  16. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    I guess I found the answer somewhere else, formatting the 3DS just "logs out" my NNID, I still can log in later and redownload what I need.

17. robot56

robot56 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    United States
    Note that it also deletes any savedata for system apps in NAND and games that are saved to SD are also deleted (would affect your emuNAND) if you don't open it during the format.

18. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    Thanks for the remind, I'v backing up saves right now.
    But then, how can I access the eshop with 9.2?

19. robot56

robot56 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    United States
    Any reason why you need access to the eShop on sysNAND?

You'd need to download an updated NVER CIA (changes the visible firmware version) and use HANS to spoof the eShop.