Unknown IDE Controller

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by sylux92, Aug 29, 2011.

Aug 29, 2011

Unknown IDE Controller by sylux92 at 4:52 AM (938 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. sylux92
    OP

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Looked at device manager today and noticed I have an IDE controller that I have never seen before. It just appeared. Device Manager shows that it does not have a driver installed. I click uninstall and it just comes back. When I try to install a driver, it can not find one. I have not added any new hardware. Why did this appear and how do I get rid of it? I have windows 7 x64.

2. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    It might be a build in driver.

3. NReale3370

Member NReale3370 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Are you using and IDE devices? Do you have another IDE controller that's working? If you're not using any IDE devices you can disable the IDE controller in your system BIOS and it should vanish from windows then.

4. sylux92
    OP

United States
    There is another working IDE device in device manager, however I have an extremely limited BIOS and cannot enable/disable any devices. Everything seems to be working fine, but I want to figure out why that appeared suddenly.

5. NReale3370

United States
    You can disable it also in the device manager, it will still show up in the list but it won't be "working". Did you recently install any virtual disc stuff like daemon tools, alcohol 120%, or clonedrive? Those might install a virtual controller though I've never heard of that

6. sylux92
    OP

United States
    I did not install any of those, although I have recently installed VMWare View, but I uninstalled that. I doubt the controller would be part of that.

7. NReale3370

United States
    hmm that's all I can think of that will suddenly install a controller like that. The other possibility is that its been there and you haven't noticed it or it was working fine and now isn't for some reason. Could it be a floppy controller maybe?

8. sylux92
    OP

United States
    Doubt it. It is on a laptop that does not have a floppy drive. I looked up the hardware ID in a database and determined that it is a RAID controller, which I have never installed. When I downloaded the drivers for it, they would not install.