Hacking Uninstalled IOS60 from system menu 4.0. Options?

jmoe316

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I have:
  • Launch Wii
    WiiKey
    preloader 0.29
    cIOS rev9
Background:
So I was trying to play some VC games when I noticed most of them now gave the "Failed to launch" error. Quick research showed I needed a trucha bug patched IOS60. So I found that and installed it without researching some instructions to go along with it. First time I installed it it froze rebooting the Wii. I manually powered down and turned it back on and got that messed up error message saying the system menu is corrupt or whatever. What I didn't know was that I was supposed to boot into preloader and load HBC to re-install preloader. Instead, I didn't think to check what IOS60 actually is and went in and uninstalled it. Now when I turn on my Wii, nothing happens. Also, if I boot into preloader, still nothing happens.

So what are my options?
I have done some more research now and it seems my only hope is SaveMiiFrii which may work. Problem is you need an autoboot disc. Is there one available for 4.0? Some people suggested you may be able to use MadWorld or Pikmin? Am I just looking for a game that will have v4.0 of the IOS60 system menu? I do have Pikmin burnt on disc, but I would need to use BootMii and change the ISO to autoboot and re-burn?

Any suggestions while I sit at work today hoping I can find a solution for when I get back home?

Thanks in advance!

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are pretty much screwed as IOS 60 is needed by both Preloader (default install) and System Menu.

Safemefrii will only work with an update of 4.0 or possibly higher (since it'll see you have 4.0 installed, you're just missing the IOS it runs off of) of which there are currently none that I know of. Even then it may not work...

Your best bet may be to send it back to nintendo for repair.

Also for future reference... never delete an IOS ever. Even if you think you don't need it, don't ever do it. There is no reason to ever uninstall an IOS... If you have to you can easily overwrite them, but never delete them. Every time someone advocates deleting an IOS for any reason I just want to smack them silly as unfortunately it leads to situations like yours.

batwings21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Send it to nintendo, or if you just bought it return it to the store for an exchange. You have sys menu 4.0, it needs ios60, without it you get nothing, unless you have a nand programmer and backup. In which case you would not be here, asking this question. I'm sorry this happened to your wii.

as a word of caution to others NEVER UNINSTALL AN IOS!!!

(edit)beat again... oh well

wiiyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like preloader is not so good afterall.

Since it rely on ios60 and if that is gone or if nintendo changes ios60, we all be stuck with bricked wii.

we need a better option to protect us from bricks.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wiiyou said:
Looks like preloader is not so good afterall.

Since it rely on ios60 and if that is gone or if nintendo changes ios60, we all be stuck with bricked wii.

we need a better option to protect us from bricks.

Yeah ! Let's design something better, and call it BootMii !!

Any takers ?
yaypsp.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is what Bootmii is, a better protection from bricks... but it of course is not out yet.

Preloader doesn't rely on IOS60 necessarily... you can change it before hand to run something else... but if the IOS isn't there there isn't any way to change it after the fact.

Also, preloader has always been overwritten by updates so the change to ios60 breaking it should come as no surprise... that said, if nintendo only modified IOS60 it wouldn't brick your wii... Preloader would still run, it just couldn't autoboot into the system menu and would need to be reinstalled.

wiiyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bootmii, who knows what form it will end up as?

or preloader can improve with more error checking and fallback, like if ios60 is missing then fallback to ios30. that should be a easy hack!

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... as I recall, the program has to call for an IOS before it can run code... How do you run code to check for other IOS if the IOS you originally called for isn't there?

I may be wrong... I'm not a programmer... but I don't think you can simply say "If IOSXX isn't here, use IOSXX instead." I think the program has to boot using it's selected IOS before it can run any other code... You could change preloader from IOS60 to something else by default, but that isn't a fool proof solution by any stretch of the imagination as that'd only be replacing one unluckily deleted IOS with another.

wiiyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
That is what Bootmii is, a better protection from bricks... but it of course is not out yet.

lets hope when its out, it won't have extreme anti-pirate features like that CMDVDX34 where god know? it won't boot if it finds and illegal wiiware or cIOS in nand.

jmoe316

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm, will this work:

I see on TPB that a group/person called Victory has the System menu 4.0 NTSC-U wad file available for download.

I also came across this: http://hackmii.com/2008/05/semi-brick-fix-discs/

Is there anyway to take the System Menu 4.0 wad (v417) and make some sorta install disc iso out of it and then make it autoboot using BootMe?

Or take an existing ISO from the above link and just replace the system menu wad with the latest? Haven't checked what's in the .inf file since I am at work.

Just scrambling for ideas here.

wiiyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your SystemMenu 4.0 is still intact as you only deleted ios60, so reinstalling the SystemMenu won't help. Afraid as koji2009 said, without ios60 the Systemmenu can't do its work.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are screwed. There is nothing that can save you from this type of brick. the IOS that the preloader requires is not there and therefore when the system tries to load through preloader to go to system menu it fails....

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wiiyou said:
bootmii, who knows what form it will end up as?

or preloader can improve with more error checking and fallback, like if ios60 is missing then fallback to ios30. that should be a easy hack!

sadly not possible at all, cause that's not how it works.
Boot2 checks the TMD of the system menu for what IOS version to load and then loads it, after that it uses the normal ES_LaunchTitle to load the system menu, which in this case would be preloader.
As you can see preloader can't affect the loaded IOS cause it's at the end of the chain.

Also crediar as _never_ claimed preloader is a brick protection!
If people "abuse" it as one, they don't have to wonder why they brick their Wiis thinking they have a brick protection ...

madmikeuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jmoe316 said:
What I have:
  • Launch Wii
    WiiKey
    preloader 0.29
    cIOS rev9
Background:
So I was trying to play some VC games when I noticed most of them now gave the "Failed to launch" error. Quick research showed I needed a trucha bug patched IOS60. So I found that and installed it without researching some instructions to go along with it. First time I installed it it froze rebooting the Wii. I manually powered down and turned it back on and got that messed up error message saying the system menu is corrupt or whatever. What I didn't know was that I was supposed to boot into preloader and load HBC to re-install preloader. Instead, I didn't think to check what IOS60 actually is and went in and uninstalled it. Now when I turn on my Wii, nothing happens. Also, if I boot into preloader, still nothing happens.

So what are my options?
I have done some more research now and it seems my only hope is SaveMiiFrii which may work. Problem is you need an autoboot disc. Is there one available for 4.0? Some people suggested you may be able to use MadWorld or Pikmin? Am I just looking for a game that will have v4.0 of the IOS60 system menu? I do have Pikmin burnt on disc, but I would need to use BootMii and change the ISO to autoboot and re-burn?

Any suggestions while I sit at work today hoping I can find a solution for when I get back home?

Thanks in advance!

My guess: Since you don't know enough about the Wii to know that deleting any IOS is seriously risky, I'm guessing you won't:
  • Have your NAND key
  • Know how to use an Infectus
  • Realise that using 3.4/4.0 is a bad choice if you are going to do risky things.
You can't use a disk SaveMiiFrii to run homebrew without CIOSCORP. Unless of course you had System Menu 3.3 or lower so you could use the Twilight Hack, which you don't.

Conclusion: Get a new Wii or ship your current one in to Nintendo.

For the so-called smartasses who try to correct me on the Twilight Hack: Yes, the Twilight Hack does work on 3.4, with 0.1beta2, but tell me: since it's deleted after a reboot, how are you supposed to get it on there when it is bricked?

wiiyou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SanGor said:
sadly not possible at all, cause that's not how it works.
Boot2 checks the TMD of the system menu for what IOS version to load and then loads it, after that it uses the normal ES_LaunchTitle to load the system menu, which in this case would be preloader.
As you can see preloader can't affect the loaded IOS cause it's at the end of the chain.

Also crediar as _never_ claimed preloader is a brick protection!
If people "abuse" it as one, they don't have to wonder why they brick their Wiis thinking they have a brick protection ...

Thank you for enlightening me, cleared up my misconception. Sadly the weak point is between boot2 and ios, can see why a boot2 with better fallback and error detection is needed (bootmi?). And maybe we can term this type of brick a unrecoverable 'boot2 brick'.

crediar point that preloader is not a brick protection is now quite clear and everyone should always bear this in mind.

betaj

Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
frown.gif
frown.gif
same exact thing happened to me last night - only had my wii for about a month...so not really looking forward to buying a new one...but I guess i deserve it...I wish there was a way of booting a program directly from the wii's DVD...kind-of like a bootdisk for wii.

codone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your bricks, guys!

I'm trying to understand BootMii better here -- If these Wiis where ISO60 was deleted... If they had installed BootMii in boot2, and had a full NAND backup, would bootmii still have been able to boot and could they have restored the NAND (and unbricked)? I would like to know just how protected I am in case I ever have a brick while updating / changing IOSs. I know nothing SHOULD ever happen, but, you never know..

(I have bootmii beta 2, and a couple NAND backups, one at 3.2 and one at 4.0)

And if BootMii would still work, it might teach some people reading this thread just how important installing bootmii as BOOT2 is..!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.