Hacking UnBrick Using a recovery disc

APOC [T.I.M.]

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it possible to recover a full brick with a recvery disc or what so ever?

ie. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick#Using_a_recovery_disc

QUOTE said:
Using a recovery disc

This requires a modchip and/or Starfall installed, as even with the Savemii dongle, the recovery mode normally only boots Nintendo repair discs. With Starfall the disc check can be bypassed; with a modchip this allows you to boot recovery software from a disc. If you don't have a modchip, but do have a copy of the Twilight Hack save already in the Wii, and an authentic Twilight Princess disc, you can use this to boot recovery software as well.

(With Starfall installed, hold Y to boot a disc in recovery mode.)

It does make you doubt if it's possible or not, that's what i'd like to now for real.

with kind regard

APOC [T.I.M.]

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Revirginize and some how it stalled and nothing... did this before on other wii's a few times and never a problem, this one just stopped all of a sudden en after shutdown it won't come alive anymore.
(other wii's got Bootmii on and one with preloader, this one does not, kinda sucky yeah! and off course it went bad all of a sudden, figures right
unsure.gif
)

I used this for revirginize by-the-way and never let me down before:
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin

wiiman123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Recovery or autoboot discs are not a reliable way of unbricking your Wii. Doesn't always work especially on newer systemmenus. I wouldn't depend on it.

Bootmii & priiloader are more secure methods, but I wouldn't place blind faith into them either as they sometimes screw up beyond recovery.

Best method is to be smart and not install a whole bunch of stuff & various combinations of that stuff, which you have no idea what it does.
Secondly if its not broken don't fix it. That must be the most important advice.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I know it's not really helping, but i did my best to update that WiiBrew article.

Before:
Code:
This requires a modchip and/or Starfall installed, as even with the Savemii dongle, the recovery mode normally only boots Nintendo repair discs. With Starfall the disc check can be bypassed; with a modchip this allows you to boot recovery software from a disc. If you don't have a modchip, but do have a copy of the Twilight Hack save already in the Wii, and an authentic Twilight Princess disc, you can use this to boot recovery software as well.

(With Starfall installed, hold Y to boot a disc in recovery mode.)

Now:
Code:
This requires a modchip and/or Starfall installed, as even with the Savemii dongle, the recovery mode normally only boots Nintendo repair discs. With Starfall the disc check can be bypassed; with a modchip this allows you to boot recovery software from a disc. This method is outdated and has a lot of requirements: The Wii needs a at least semi working system menu and a fully working system menu IOS. Also (illegal!) copies of the old repair disc won't work on updated systems, because IOS16 was stubbed and homebrew discs require the trucha bug inside the correct IOS or that IOS has to ignore signing completely.

If you do have a copy of the Indiana Pwns save already in the Wii, and an authentic LEGO Indiana Jones disc, you can use this to boot recovery software as well. This also requires a at least semi working system menu, a fully working system menu IOS and some way to still boot game discs. There's a method to get the Indiana Pwns savegame on the Wii nand after a brick: Spam the nand with savegames until it's nearly full, try to install the rabbids go home channel(maybe others work as well), get the option to go to data management and copy the savegame over.

Note: Starfall is outdated, preloader is able to do everything Starfall is able to do and more. With Starfall installed, hold Y to boot a disc in recovery mode.

APOC [T.I.M.]

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried these boot-disks, but nothing happening, doesn't boot:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bd86e59...8eada0a1ae8665a
=> Tested: AutoBootUniversalUnbrick DiscV4 | LastChanceUnbrickDiscV3 | Nintendo's Offical Wii BackUp Disk v1.31

But the dvd's didn't start auto-booting... or do you have to do some voodoo first?
I just burned the image to dvd, put it in the wii and power on, then... nothing happens...
(Wii is hardmodded with a Argon modchip v2.1 (9 wires) by the way)

I can try the SaveMiiFrii methode and see what happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPIzoqVizoQ...player_embedded

For the SaveMii methode I need to get me this device right?
http://www.ozmodchips.com/savemii-wii-unbr...vice-p-178.html

It's a shame that this wii wasn't (yet) equipped with BootMii or PreLoader and off course things went wrong, you'll always see that things go bad in such a scenario right?
wink.gif

Everybody thanks for helping and the hints & tips so far, really appreciated

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bet you where on 4.2, downgraded to 3.2, then bricked on the 4.1 install because of ios ios60-v6400. If so, RM will not function.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Think I bought AncientBoi-GPT.