Hacking ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
looks like nabsters not online at the moment (probably has a million other things on his mind beside newbs
smile.gif

Does anyone else have advice on my above query?

no-one seems to have posted anything in a good few hours!! me-worries!!

stevee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Error is to do with media
Use dvd-R burn at slower speed with imgburn 2.x, if you must use dvd + change book type in imgburn to dvd-r

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheWon: sweet
grog.gif

chrisman01 said:
so it's too dangerous to use my 4gb sdhc?? I NEED to do this, but that's the only card I have!!
It may work it may not... You can buy an SD card online for like $5 shipping included

maarten66 said:
Is it possible to play backups from the disc channel with this guide?
Do I have to delete some stuff before I start with this guide?
You will need to reinstall cioscorp
You dont have to delete anything but you will need to reinstall preloader and Starfall will not work on 4.0

hdhacker said:
Is there a guide as good as this for LU64/LU65 Wiis? I heard there are some new hacks to get it to work with preloader, etc. An all inclusive guide like this would be helpful.
If there is please point me to it

ruffets: enter the version you want to install

QUOTE(melodical @ Jul 9 2009, 10:22 PM)
looks like nabsters not online at the moment
Well first off this isnt nabsters thread, he just happens to be kind enough to help people out.
This guide isnt meant for general questions its suppose to concern only the guide
As for your question: Maybe try the normal Gamma loader? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=115623 or install cioscorp
Also try burning at 2x and use Verbatim discs

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
assassda said:
TheWon: sweet
grog.gif

chrisman01 said:
so it's too dangerous to use my 4gb sdhc?? I NEED to do this, but that's the only card I have!!
It may work it may not... You can buy an SD card online for like $5 shipping included

maarten66 said:
Is it possible to play backups from the disc channel with this guide?
Do I have to delete some stuff before I start with this guide?
You will need to reinstall cioscorp
You dont have to delete anything but you will need to reinstall preloader and Starfall will not work on 4.0

hdhacker said:
Is there a guide as good as this for LU64/LU65 Wiis? I heard there are some new hacks to get it to work with preloader, etc. An all inclusive guide like this would be helpful.
If there is please point me to it

ruffets: enter the version you want to install

QUOTE(melodical @ Jul 9 2009, 10:22 PM)
looks like nabsters not online at the moment
Well first off this isnt nabsters thread, he just happens to be kind enough to help people out.
This guide isnt meant for general questions its suppose to concern only the guide
As for your question: Maybe try the normal Gamma loader? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=115623 or install cioscorp
Also try burning at 2x and use Verbatim discs

Sorry assassda, I much appreciate the help i had from nabster previously. I'm sorry if i offended you. I am fully aware that if it were not for you this thread would not exist!! Thanks for all your time and effort on this. The only problem is i've been getting a lot of conflicticting info from other members recently and have tried to cling to people who's replies have directly answered my previous queries instead of giving me a completely different answer to the question i had asked. I only asked for further help as i thought installing neogamma was kind of an unnoficial 16th step to the offline guide.
The error i have been receiving (DVD Read error 972) has been pretty much un-google-able and i cannot find the source/author of the neogamma app to query him about it? I have used verbatim minus -r disk and others and just tried 2x burning with no luck. Sorry for going on but i felt that i had to explain my situation a little more clearly. As i said earlier much props to you and thanks for your hard work!

whathehell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might had been answer before but I did not see it...
is there a way to boot directly to the main channel of the wii? mine boots to the preloader screen and my kids are hating it.

Thanks

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Assassda!

I know that you were pretty pissed at me in my last post as the query was regarding Neogamma (DVD read error 972) but i was unsure if i had potentially not followed your guide properly (which i believe i did).

I promise this will be the last query on this topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have followed the OFFLINE guide using a PAL Wii (LEH) that was originally updated to OFFICIAL 4.0E firmware via the wii internet connection.

I have bootmii installed to boot2 and hbc works ok.

I am having issue with NEOGammer Latest version R6 as it keeps giving me an error 792. I have used 2 different dvd drives (pioneer 112d 16x & Liteon 20x) to burn about 8 isos to (16x capable Verbatim -r burnt at 2x,4x,8x,12x,16x, also 3 Phillips DVD-r @ 2x,4x,8x. Both were burnt mainly with img burn. I also tried nero on a few occasions

If i can get to the point where i can launch the neogamma app, Does this mean your guide worked successfully?

I have read in many places that verbatim dvd-r's are the best for burning backups. Is it at all possible that one of the ios or Cios that i installed following the offline got corrupted or didn't install properly?
I followed your offline guide to the letter.

My question is after following this guide, can i just remove the neogamma folder from my apps folder on the sd card and replace it with a different version, or can I have multiple Version releases side by side in the same folder with different folder names. additionally is it cool to put a folder for gamma 0.3 & neogamma6 in the apps folder. Will this mess up all the great advice that you have provided me with in your offline guide and partially-brick my wii. (I have nand backup)

Will updating the ios in order to run gamma 0.3 screw up up any other iso's?

Preloader also seems to work ok. Does preloader interfere with neogamma6 to your knowledge?

Following your previous advice i am going to go to my nearest disc shop and get 2 of each brand of disk that they have in the store but in the meantime i want to know whats possible at the moment as i cant cant seem to get a straight answer from anyone in terms of whether running apps can semi-brick my wii.

Please be patient with me as i am having trouble asking questions on gbatemp. I know that any further knowledge you provide me with will be accurate as it pertains to your guide. I'm not sure when i ask questions in the other threads whether thay are aware of your guide and may start offering irrelavant info i.e that i have a chipped wii when I DO NOT!! as it is softmodded fromyour guide. Also newbs are answering news questions and i have been up for 4 nights trying to get backups working.

Thanks again for your sharing your time, patience and wealth of knowledge on this subject.
smile.gif

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
melodical said:
The error i have been receiving (DVD Read error 972) has been pretty much un-google-able and i cannot find the source/author of the neogamma app to query him about it? I have used verbatim minus -r disk and others and just tried 2x burning with no luck. Sorry for going on but i felt that i had to explain my situation a little more clearly. As i said earlier much props to you and thanks for your hard work!
im not mad lol chill out
First reinstall cios rev10 since the newest cios seems to be buggy http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zdztqgmtnyn
then try using Neogamma or the normal Gamma loader, putting them both on the SD card works fine
If that doesnt work install CIOSCORP and try to boot from the disc channel
Use Verbatim DVD+R and burn at 2x in Imgburn

QUOTE(whathehell @ Jul 10 2009, 01:20 PM) This might had been answer before but I did not see it...
is there a way to boot directly to the main channel of the wii? mine boots to the preloader screen and my kids are hating it.
Theres an option in preloader settings which you can change to System Menu or Homebrew Channel

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
assassda said:
melodical said:
im not mad lol chill out
First reinstall cios rev10 since the newest cios seems to be buggy http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zdztqgmtnyn
then try using Neogamma or the normal Gamma loader, putting them both on the SD card works fine
If that doesnt work install CIOSCORP and try to boot from the disc channel
Use Verbatim DVD+R and burn at 2x in Imgburn

QUOTE(whathehell @ Jul 10 2009, 01:20 PM) This might had been answer before but I did not see it...
Theres an option in preloader settings which you can change to System Menu or Homebrew Channel

Thanks for that!

So your saying get cIOS36_rev10-Installer.zip from the link and, just to clarify, are your saying i should use cIOS36_rev10 wads as a replacement for offline guide "step 11) Run cIOS36_rev10-Installer and choose WAD Installation."?

I.e - uninstall the 18 files of cIOS36_rev10-Installer via wad manager 1.4 from IOS249

delete cIOS36_rev10- from apps folder on sd card and place NEW cIOS36_rev10 file in its place in apps folder and then go back to
wad manager 1.4 and install the 18 files for cIOS36_rev10 instead into IOS249, the same way as i did in step 11 previously. (and maybe step 12?)

Also can Preloader cope with this without uninstalling?

Your a legend dude! Thanks again

installed the following after you advice:
(update - wii read error 782 when using all 10 different backups i burnt previously (when using Neogamma R5 instead of 6)
(update - wii read error 721 when using all 10 different backups i burnt previously (when using Neogamma R4)
(update - wii read error 559 when using all 10 different backups i burnt previously (when using Neogamma R3)

I have also noticed that every bu apart from gh0stnus3ers displays it name and animation/Title squence through the main wii menu in the wii's original disc channel. Is this a good thing or would this happen anyway (i have not installed CIOSCORP as yet - should this happen? Can i click it? probably a no because ive heard its a bad thing to do!!!

also one of the games that shows title and game ani in disc channel was burnt on a dvd+r disk (tdk) with booktype set appropriately burnt at 2.4 speed!) I think im getting closer to sorting it but further answer to the above questions would make my day/evening/morning!! Im not sure what time or day it is anymore! lol

cheers
smile.gif

oldskool75

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Attempted update from 3.2U..
Online method..

Everything went fine until Step #10 - "Run the 4.0 updater"

It failed to download once on "Shopping Channel".
Noticed that the "Downloading content" number count does not sequentially climb, it jumps around from #79 to #11 to #56 etc..
(This jumping was noticed on the downloads after "Shopping Channel" as well...)

Second time through Step #10, all files downloaded and installed successfully..

In step #12, I didn't need to hold reset down to boot into HBC (BootMii loaded without it, and I chose HBC from there)

All in all, it worked well!

Warning, set aside a few hours to do this.. (i.e. don't start at like 3am..
wacko.gif
)

Seishi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, great guide, followed it and everything went well, just a quick question though, i've noticed that when i choose the option to return to the wii menu when in a game/homebrew channel/wii ware, instead of just returning to the menu, it seems to be restarting instead (shows the health warning and needs me to press "A" to continue). I was just wondering is this normal?

Thanks for your time
smile.gif

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that, I think after I get this question answered I will be ready to do this:

On the guide it says this in steps:
"5) Open the config menu (gears) and choose backup NAND (green arrow) wait for it to finish and restart the Wii

6) Install cIOS36 rev10 to IOS249 using Network install mode"

I already have cIOS rev10 installed on 3.3u with HBC, will that cause a problem if I backup the NAND with Cios rev10 already installed?

UnFallen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the awesome tut but I have a question. Will I still be able to have the Wii Menu or will I have to boot though a menu like bootmii?

GizmoDVD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Argg.

3) Install the Homebrew Channel and install BootMii as boot2 if possible or as an IOS if boot2 is not available.

4) Launch Bootmii (if you installed to boot2 just reset the system if you installed to IOS go to the HBC and press the Home button)

So I did #3. Installed BootMii as Boot2. Now where can I launch Bootmii? I don't see it listed in the Homebrew channel and when I restart I get a grey screen that says 'Wii, Homebrew Channel, SD and a picture of gears. I can't use my WiiMote (with or without the nunchuck) on the screen and have to take out my SD card and restart to get back to the channels. What am I doing wrong?

GizmoDVD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, figures out you have to use the buttons on the actual Wii to move the wierd screen around. Wonderful.

Now I'm stuck downloading 4.0 when always has an error towards the end (#115 of the System Menu).

Say's this

Download Content #115... ERROR! (ret = -1)

Sigh. 6th time now.

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
melodical said:
I.e - uninstall the 18 files of cIOS36_rev10-Installer via wad manager 1.4 from IOS249

delete cIOS36_rev10- from apps folder on sd card and place NEW cIOS36_rev10 file in its place in apps folder and then go back to
wad manager 1.4 and install the 18 files for cIOS36_rev10 instead into IOS249

I have also noticed that every bu apart from gh0stnus3ers displays it name and animation/Title squence through the main wii menu in the wii's original disc channel. Is this a good thing or would this happen anyway (i have not installed CIOSCORP as yet - should this happen? Can i click it? probably a no because ive heard its a bad thing to do!!!
Dont uninstall anything just install ciosrev10 using Network mode or WAD mode
Install all of cioscorp except cios60 using WAD Manage 1.4. preloader should be unaffected
Its normal for discs to show up in the disc channel, they wont run until you instal CIOSCORP

oldskool75 said:
All in all, it worked well!
congrats

Seishi said:
Hi, great guide, followed it and everything went well, just a quick question though, i've noticed that when i choose the option to return to the wii menu when in a game/homebrew channel/wii ware, instead of just returning to the menu, it seems to be restarting instead (shows the health warning and needs me to press "A" to continue). I was just wondering is this normal?
Thats normal. You can disable the health screen in preloader

QUOTE(LufianGuy @ Jul 11 2009, 12:59 PM) I already have cIOS rev10 installed on 3.3u with HBC, will that cause a problem if I backup the NAND with Cios rev10 already installed?
Nope

QUOTE(UnFallen @ Jul 11 2009, 02:35 PM)
Thanks for the awesome tut but I have a question. Will I still be able to have the Wii Menu or will I have to boot though a menu like bootmii?
You can still use the Wii menu and skip any other menus

GizmoDVD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GizmoDVD said:
Well, figures out you have to use the buttons on the actual Wii to move the wierd screen around. Wonderful.

Now I'm stuck downloading 4.0 when always has an error towards the end (#115 of the System Menu).

Say's this

Download Content #115... ERROR! (ret = -1)

Sigh. 6th time now.

12 times now. Same error everytime. Is there anyway to bypass this and get 4.0 a different way? The only thing in my Wii is the SD card running all the stuff. No USB/Gamecube etc.

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GizmoDVD said:
12 times now. Same error everytime. Is there anyway to bypass this and get 4.0 a different way? The only thing in my Wii is the SD card running all the stuff. No USB/Gamecube etc.
Nintendo recently changed the hosted files... maybe the program checks and finds it invalid... maybe you should try the offline guide. if anyone can run the FW Updater now please post back here

dole

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I started working through the online install. Did all the steps up to running the 4.0 Updater. The 4.0 updater runs, got past the various IOS installs, photo, shopping, and photo 1.1 installs, got to IOS55 and it errored, ret=-1. Asked me to restart, I did, and it goes black. BootMii still loads, but it won't load HBC via holding down reset and powering on, or through the BootMii menu, it just goes black. Same with the Wii channel.

What to do now?
frown.gif

Some additional info:
I did install preloader and it seemed to install successfully but BootMii is the only thing that loads. BootMii was installed to boot2.
Was updating from a slutty System Menu 3.2U.
Tried restoring from BootMii NAND backup... seemed to erase/restore blocks, but still does the same thing. BootMii will
load but won't load the Wii system menu or HBC, just goes black.

darthvivi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the instructions exactly but step 12 isn't working for me. Holding reset doesn't take me to the preloader (I did access the preloader menu right after installation, however). It takes me to BootMii if I hold reset for a short time and the System Menu if I hold reset for a long time.

I have tried:
Holding reset before hitting power
Holding reset shortly after hitting power
Removing the SD card and holding reset then hitting power.

But no matter what it's not booting. If I need to re-install preloader, do I need to restore NAND first? Thanks for you help.

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
Assassda said:

wad manager 1.4 and install the 18 files for cIOS36_rev10 instead into IOS249

I have also noticed that every bu apart from gh0stnus3ers displays it name and animation/Title squence through the main wii menu in the wii's original disc channel. Is this a good thing or would this happen anyway (i have not installed CIOSCORP as yet - should this happen? Can i click it? probably a no because ive heard its a bad thing to do!!![/quote]
Dont uninstall anything just install ciosrev10 using Network mode or WAD mode
Install all of cioscorp except cios60 using WAD Manage 1.4. preloader should be unaffected
Its normal for discs to show up in the disc channel, they wont run until you instal CIOSCORP

Thanks assassda!! I have now sorted it thanks to your generosity and help during the last few days! If you get any UK people in the future doing your head in with similar q's to mine, feel obliged to throw em my way to prove that this guide definately works on pal wiis.

As you advised reinstalling the cIOS36_rev10 again sorted it. Everything game is now working including a tdk+r disk, phillips 16x -r discs, and good old verbatims at full 16x speed
Ghostb and supr punch0ut backup discs also run with no probs.

Can i leave with a few last questions?? If possible. As your expert opinion has always seemed more greater than newbs in other threads?

neogamma 6 works great
USB loader works great

I'm a bit worried about installing CIOSCORP as im not sure if its region specific (i have PAL 4.0E)

1. Is CIOSCORP Region specific

2. Is there a few different versions of CIOSCORP, could i install an old version through google searching or would this be problematic. Would i need the latest version?

3. Do you think that CIOSCORP installation maybe problematic to update in the future as it messes with original nintendo ios's?

4. Does gamecube launcher mess with any official ios?

5. If i dont install CIOSCORP, will it be ok for someone to accidently click on the game through the Wii menu 'disc loader', is there a possibilty of a semi-brick?

8. Can i now delete all the installation files i.e cios36_rev10-install, CMDVDX35, WAD MANAGERS

& leave preloader and
everything from the apps folder that i need like neogamma and usb loader?

9. Lastly, how do i go about installing DVDX after following this guide without semi-bricking as geexbox and mplayer ce wont play original movie DVDS or divx. Do i have to follow the 3 steps on bootmii (i.e downgrade iso35,patchmii install DVDX) or can i just run step 3 = install DVDx

1000 thankyou's assassda

PS. Theres 10 pints behind the bar for you if you come to wales! Keep up the good work!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro