uLoader External DVD support - can it run retail games?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Vertimyst, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Vertimyst
    OP

Vertimyst Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    Canada
    Teh Netherverge, Canada
    Basically the title says it all. I have the original launch Wii model, but the disc drive seems to be failing (very noisy and doesn't always read discs). I can't afford to get it repaired right now, and I'm concerned they might swap the drive for the D-32 if/when I do. I use USB Loader GX for most of my Wii games, but don't have all of my original retail discs backed up on it. I also have some gamecube backups that I want to be able to play, so my question is:

Can uLoader use an external DVD drive to play retail Wii games? Or retail or burned gamecube games?

2. alexcalibur

alexcalibur GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2009
    United States
    Arizona
    Unless something has changed since last time I asked this question, the answer is no, it cannot read retail games. The reason being that the external dvd drives cannot read the wii format - only the wii dvd drive can do that, regardless of any cios magic that is used.

I always did wonder what would happen if you used one of those special LG drives though, so if anyone knows anything about those I guess that would pertain to the TCs question.

3. Vertimyst
    OP

Vertimyst Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    Canada
    Teh Netherverge, Canada
    Okay, thanks. How about backed-up gamecube games?

And if so (or even if not) what do I need to start using it? I have uLoader installed and the usual softmod stuff done. But I don't have dvdx installed, would I need that?

4. alexcalibur

alexcalibur GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2009
    United States
    Arizona
    I've never actually used an external dvd drive (since it not reading retail games turned me off from it), but I *think* it would just require herme's lates cios (even an old version might work, I don't remember when that capability was added). That would be 222 and 223 v5.

5. Slimmmmmm

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Nov 1, 2007
    the land of lol
    No GC games, I always overlook that fact too, but USB doesn't work in gamecube mode [​IMG]

So...

Wii Backups = Yes
    Wii Retail = No
    GameCube = No

6. Vertimyst
    OP

Vertimyst Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    Canada
    Teh Netherverge, Canada
    Okay, thanks. I guess I'll forget about the idea for now then, most of my Wii backups are on an external drive.

7. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    What's the read speed when you play a backup DVD through ULoader? is it still 3X or 6X?

8. tueidj

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    That's a limitation of the wii's DVD drive so it wouldn't apply in this case.