Uh, PS3 fat or slim?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by CCNaru, Sep 28, 2011.

Sep 28, 2011

Uh, PS3 fat or slim? by CCNaru at 5:48 PM (860 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. CCNaru
    OP

Member CCNaru Warn-free Since 2005

United States
    Going to play backup games mostly, and PS2 games will be 2nd priority. looking for something that will not give me YLOD also... 360 xenon was a bitch.

also what FW do slims come in? do I have to be wary about buying a certain ver. of slim? or are they all downgradeable?

2. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Then what you want technically is either a 20gb or 40gb ps3 phat, ive had one for a while now never ylod on me.

All ps3's are downgradable but some take a little tinkering with the insides if you know what I mean, I would stick with the phat, theres nothing wrong with it and if the 20gb-40gb option isnt acceptable just update the hard drive, i took the 160gb out of my laptop and put it in my ps3 when i got a 250gb drive

3. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    You will need PS3 FAT (PHAT) 40GB or 60GB for Backward compatibilities for PS2 and it also allow PSX retail games as well. However, PS3 SLIM allow you to play retail psx games only but not PS2 retail games.

4. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Correction if your modding your console you can play any psx game retail or not, all you need is multiman, only catch is it has to be on disk, no iso's but its can be a copied disks, or somethin you've burnt to disk off the interweb

5. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    No, I am using Slim PS3 with no JB and no multiman and it can play psx retail games just fine. Thats what I am saying.. no copied disks (backup games). I am saying psx retail games which mean real original psx cds only.